Spray-Fest

Hi.

I encourage everyone to read Jon the Web-Site Owner's comments made this afternoon under the topic "Spray Police". He makes some interesting points. Although there is plenty of stuff to annoy lots of people on this board, I don't think anyone is out there to ruin the site. I've been reading the posts here for some time before become an active participant about a week or so ago. In the process, I have found a wide range of interesting discussion, useful route information, some funny stuff that got me thoroughly laughing, and some mean-spirited commentary as well. I, myself, have been called a "bitch" by people I have never met, who take advantage of the anonymity of the internet to engage in written assault.

Anyway, this site is not unlike the rest of the internet: it has hosted the great and inspirational, the mediocre and the pathetic and everything in between. It's too bad that there are some real whiners out there sending you personal E-mail because the comments aren't just what they're looking for right at that moment. Like the folks who don't like to wade through a few attempts at humor to get at their much-needed beta: (e.g., the ever-frightening, "does anyone out there know what the snow conditions are going to be on Mt. Baker on Aug. 15th this year? I have the day off....")

Having jerks on your site is a given unless you want to take the trouble of acting as a moderator as many discussion lists do. That way, the abusers can be warned, threatened, banned, etc. while the whiners can have their sterile route beta.

It's been an interesting experience, but I don't know if I want to spend much time here anymore.

By the way, your ubiquitous use of the word "f@%k" and its various derivatives does not serve as a very good example coming from the Site-Ruler.

Love,

Donna

P.S. The funny banter between me and "Pope" is based on years of an amusing climbing relationship with the guy; much different from some anonymous creep calling me a "bitch".

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on Donna,

Do you want this web site to be some boring place where the only action is people selling used gear? There are plenty of them out there. Is your only reason for comming here is that Jim Nelson posts here? Grow up and stop hero worshiping.

If you can't have some fun and roll with things perhaps you need to do some self examination. On a recent post I pointed out that changing one word in a sentence gave a new and warped meaning to it. For my comment I was told that I had been, "butt raped and liked it". Now do you think I took a post like that from someone I had never met befor seriously? No, in fact I started laughing the second I read that. Yes, the post degenerated from there, but the information requested was delivered. So what was the harm? a post that would have had 5 or 6 responses now has 15 or so.

For those of you desperate for the most recent conditions or route information remember that most of the fun of climbing is dealing with the unknown. Information is great, but do you want to have your hand held up each route you do? Conditions change all the time, so no matter how much beta you have you still have to find out what the route is really like for yourself.

If you climb for very long you will make mistakes and bail from routes because of bad conditions, but you will probably learn the most from those climbs.

So go climbing and stop obsessing about information.

[This message has been edited by AlpineK (edited 05-23-2001).]

Alpine K:

Your message reveals that you have no understanding of what I posted above.

good luck,

D.

P.S. I don't require a response.

What a grave disadvantage to live in a technologically advanced society with free access to public forums like this on the internet! As well as an affluent society that allows a lot of us great opportunities to enjoy recreation in the hills with a whole bunch of shiny things and flashy clothes and hi tech devices to guide even more people out to the mountains.

A horrible shame on the magazines and retailers for exploiting the outdoors and crowding the "great" places.

Cascade climbers is a great resource for discourse, discussion, beta, etc. and as is the case with public forums, there is a lot of chaff off the grain. If the users of this site can't cope with the reality of a lot of crap on the internet, I reccommend hooking up an old IBM Seletric to the phone line.

People really are allowed to be stupider than you, Donna, and maybe not even as good a climber, too!! Heaven forbid you need to share the wilderness or this site with people more novice or loutish-have a satisfying summer beating the crowds- don't get a case of Route Rage!

That Donna is smart, and that she can go like totally aggro on the most wickedest sketch-fest is not in question here, dudes. I warned you that she could be elitest and even bitchy. If you got your little feelings hurt because of some catty comment, just think how insulted I felt when she became intimate with every member of the Cirque Expedition (not to mention the mountin' fauna), for no other reason than to punish me for hanging a poster of Lynn Hill in my alpine lounge. Things got really nasty when she planted the swim suit out by the hot tub, left coupons for cheerleader car washes in my rig, then lifted my wallet and turned it in to the lost-and-found at Hooters. My wife was furious, and it took quite some time for me to forgive Donna for her devious ways. But, hey, when you run into her out at the crags, you'll know why I allow myself to be such a helpless and pathetic victim of her charm.

Alpine K's first response to Donna was right on the money- She should loosen up, have some fun , and roll with things - in this site, on the rocks, wherever- Her posts seem to elicit more sympathy than anything else- I do empathise for her, but there's over six and a half billion of us crowding this rock and she'll just have to share that sacred ground she walks on with everybody else, in reality or in cyberspace.Weather she's hot or not.

For a young man your very perceptive. Just remember no matter how independent you think you are someday you will be on a leash too. wink.gif

It may be worth noting that "Donna" may be a figment of Pope's imagination.

[This message has been edited by AlpineK (edited 05-24-2001).]

Tom Lick-Us...yeah, I'm a 101 graduate; after that, I was swingin' two chicks on my arm. Then I met Donna, and I'm pretty sure even Lick-Us would be under her thumb.

BTW, I heard Tom's got a face made for radio.

"Pope"! You are So Wrong!!! Someday I'll write the history of your stupid "Cirque Expedition" and everyone will know what a yak-spanker you really are, but in the meantime, lest I perpetuate my reputation as "an elitist bitch", let's set the record straight:

a) It wasn't the Lynn Hill poster that set me off, it was that Lynn Hill scrap-book I found under your bed full of magazine articles and so forth. Nice to see you have a woman for a role model but that's a bit obsessive.

b) That wasn't my swim-suit out on the lawn near the hot-tub because I wasn't wearing one; it must belong to someone other unsuspecting girl you picked up at the UW rock, Leavenworth or wherever. And I'm glad your wife found it because I didn't even know you had a wife until we were splitsville! Watch out girls! He's only interested in climbing "chicks".

c) I left the cheerleader carwash coupons in your car as a favor: that sewer on wheels you drive needs a scrubbing by someone (remember those moldy AM/PM cheese covered nachos that have been glued to the backseat for months?) Although I pity those cheerleaders who have to put up with your mouth which is almost as dirty as your car.

d) I turned your wallet into Hooters for a couple of reasons. First of all, I suspect that's the first place you'd look for it, being a regular and all; secondly, I figured that's where the money would end up anyway so I DID YOU A BIG FAVOR!!!!

Go back to watching the Eiger Sanction and garner some clever pick-up lines from your hero Clement Pope.

- Donna