Accident in Leavenworth

Figger_Eight

Being with the Tacoma branch here is the lastest update:the drs are still scanning for a comprehensive injuries list and plan of action. He has not spoken and has had no surgery.Top of femur is broken and may need pelvic reconstructive surgery,broken sacrum,some bleeding of the brain,some neck vertebrae injury,broken ribs,broken hand,lacerations and contusions. The family is not encouraging hospital visits at this time[Harborview].Cards are welcome, please contact me via PM for the address.

Please keep your comments tactful until you have all the facts. Hardy is not only a great climber but an absolute hoot to be around. Mary Vesper

edited to remove the address

Edited by Off_White

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardy had surgery on his femur yesterday and it went well.The medical staff is cautiously optimistic about his condition and recovery.They are also impressed with his fitness at 64.He still has not spoken but did open his eyes and move fingers and toes before surgery.He is still in intensive care in the trauma unit but may be upgraded to acute intensive care soon.

Thank you in advance for going somewhere else with other unrelated comments. Mary

Some images from that day:

My climbing partner and I had topped out on R&D in a light sprinkle, which shortly thereafter turned to a steady rain. We were standing on top of Icicle Buttress in the rainwhen we heard the distant sound of a helicopter.

The other times I've seen helicopters in the Icicle Valley they were dropping water on nearby a forest fire...not so on this rainy afternoon. It was obvious from the very low altitude flight-path that the chopper was up to some serious business:

P5210025-small.JPG

(note how far below me the helicopter)

It seemed like they were looking for something or someone - never a good sign. Of course, we thought, "uh...oh...somebody's hurt around here. Where? Are the injured folks below us?" Several teams of climbers below us were still working up the route in the rain and the chopper soon spotted them or us, did several fly-bys and buzzed us:

P5210026-crop.jpg

The pilot and crew gave us a once over and, satisfied that we were ok (none of us were waving frantically or trying to signal the chopper), descended towards the base of Icicle Buttress, presumably to get a better look at the climbers below:

P5210027-crop.jpg

Scanning everything we could see in the rain and mist filled valley, we shortly thereafter noticed some movement on YellowJacket Tower:

P5210028-small.JPG

Once we focused in on YJT we could make out some people waving some red-tarps up and down at the base of the YellowJacket's left buttress, almost directly across the valley from us:

P5210028-closeup-text.JPG

Around the same time, the helicopter spotted the red tarps as well and flew over to YJT. They did a bunch of fly-by's before settling in for a sustained hover...and we started our walk-off and down the left side of Icicle Buttress. As we eventually drove out of the valley we saw a very large number of marked and unmarked Search and Rescue vehicles parked on the side of road along with a ambulance.

Best to the injured climber and those involved in the rescue.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

My full frame images are available at:

http://shigeno.serveftp.net/files/yellowjacket/P5210025.JPG

http://shigeno.serveftp.net/files/yellowjacket/P5210026.JPG

http://shigeno.serveftp.net/files/yellowjacket/P5210027.JPG

http://shigeno.serveftp.net/files/yellowjacket/P5210028.JPG

My deepest sympathies to the family, friends and climbing partners of Hardy Batchelor, who passed away this morning.

Oh dude, thats just so sad. I feel so bad for the pain those left behind must be feeling.

dshigeno: thanks for sharing the pics. I suspect most of the armchair quarterbacks and critics had no idea of the weather which your pictures show. Class 4 in the rain can often be quite difficult.

How sad. I just spoke to a friend Wednesday evening who knew Hardy pretty well. Pete gave me an update on his recovery. It sounded like everuthing was going to be o.k.. R.I.P., and my condolences to his friends and family.

I havent posted due to various personal reasons but I know personally those involved as well as Hardy and all I can say is our lives are a journey that only we alone can fully know, he was a vital and supportive spirit who made a positive impact upon all those he touched and laughed with. May his circle of loved ones maintain the flame.

dshigeno: thanks for sharing the pics. I suspect most of the armchair quarterbacks and critics had no idea of the weather which your pictures show. Class 4 in the rain can often be quite difficult.

a few of us were mountainbiking on the other side of l-worth and heard the heli commotion. the rain we were getting drenched by had come from that direction. it was so slick i actually ended up walking much of the ride down. it's hard to imagine being anywhere near a rock-climb or scramble in that stuff. good thing it didn't end up more serious. here's wishing the injured a speedy recovery, and sending condolences to the family of those who aren't able to ...

The "injured" is no longer with us...

a few of us were mountainbiking on the other side of l-worth and heard the heli commotion. the rain we were getting drenched by had come from that direction. it was so slick i actually ended up walking much of the ride down. it's hard to imagine being anywhere near a rock-climb or scramble in that stuff. good thing it didn't end up more serious. here's wishing the injured a speedy recovery, and sending condolences to the family of those who aren't able to ...