Running up Mt. Hood

kit97210

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a climber, why would you want to have the noteriety of the guy that does the ascents/decents on weird stuff. Creativity has it's place in the mountains, but Hood is enough of a circus. I'm not saying running Hood is crazy, but you should do it because you want to, not so you can tell people you did.

How about skiing the bare pavement of Timberline road? I doubt anyone has done that either.

My thinking, based on just a little mountain running experience, is that the only reason to do it is to have something to spray about. From a practical standpoint, not many people can really run stuff that steep, at least not above the palmer.

I did a run from Govy to a little above the Palmer snowfield last summer in an attempt to get a long stretch of vertical. I found that Timberline has completely destroyed the moraines above Silcox in their snowfarming efforts, making it truly miserable going once the snow melts. You could do it with full snow coverage, but why, oh, why travel down a snow-covered mountain on foot when it's truly blissful skiing down it?

Climb/ski the southside, run the Timberline trail.