MOUNTAIN BIKE UP MT HOOD

kit97210

Hello is it possible to mountain bike up Mt. hood or at least a good deal of it. Thinking of trying spiked tires to simulate a kind of crampon. Riging the gears so there are some really high ones.

What about biking down. Probably starting at Crater Rock downward.

What about a bike climb sort of thing? I saw a picture in Grauer's book of someone who I think carried a bike to the summit and rode it up there in the 50's.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if I'm just dreaming.

So 18 degrees to Silcox then 23 degrees or so to Palmer? On dirt this would be tough and this is snow. I really can't see doing it unless on a groomed surface and with spikes in tires. But they (hood people) would probably never allow this.

Thinking more, I don't see doing it up higher above Palmer.

Riding up will probably impossible or be tough as hell, and it would probably become a hike-a-bike ride. The ride down would fun though. To rig you tires, Take sheet metal screws and screw them from the inside out through the knobs, just make sure you have plenty of clearance or you will chew your frame up. You can line your tire with a slick tire with the bead removed or just use a lot of duct tape, but definitely line them or you will definitely be walking your bike. I have done a couple of races on snow at ski resorts, and it is hard riding, it is more sliding than anything, but a lot of fun.

According to my old 'Climber's Guide to Oregon', by Nicholas Dodge (1968), a bycycle has been ridden along Hood's summit. It doesn't say how the bicycle got there though. (It also mentions that once, climbers camped in a tent on the summit awoke to find a copy of the Oregonian and a quart of milk outside, and that Hood has been climbed by someone in high heels.)

The answer is yes. I was warehouseman for Timberline lodge for a while, and in the fall you can do one of the most killer mountain bike rides around from the lodge to Rhododendron:

10,000 vertical feet over 11 miles!!! rockband.gif

I never rode UP, but the ride down goes from sno-cat track (Lodge to Gov't Camp), then the old highway, then singletrack to Rhodie. PM me for exact details.

I used to have to use Scott Mathauser pads, bucause the descent would burn up even kool-stops (this was before disc brakes).

One guy took out a group of Brownies coming around a corner on the singletrack, and almost got the trail shut down for bikers.

Above the lodge you are on your own. yellaf.gif