Conditions on Muir snowfield?

brukb

Anyone been up the snowfield since the weather has started calming down from the last storm cycle? Hoping to do some boarding from Camp Muir, wondering if there's wind crust/slabs that would make boarding difficult. How about Avy conditions up to Pan point? Thanks, Bruk

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say never, but rarely. I've skied from Muir in a foot of fresh that wasn't wind-affected.

brukb, why don't you check the telemetry data for Paradise... the wind speed from the past few days might give you an idea of how hammered the snow is there. Probably pretty hammered.

I think it is always a good idea to bring crampons up there during the winter. When I was up there in January there was some bulletproof ice where crampons were a necessity. I'm sure a few groups got turned around because of it.

I've skied from muir since I was five. I'll admit there had been a few fesheez, but not many. I go up to muir when there is nothing else to do, and that is usually because I am too lazy to think of anything else. Also, I like to ski before noon, and Rainier doesn't allow for that these days...

I agree that the skiing on the Muir snowfield is usually poor. But you can still have an awesome experience there. Ski it by moonlight. Muir is unique because there's a cabin up there where you can hang out until the moon comes up. Then as you're coming down you've got the snowfield and the entire horizon glowing before you. Here's a trip report I wrote a couple years ago when my brother and I skied it during the winter solstice full moon:

http://groups.g oogle.com/groups?q=muir+by+moonlight+group:rec.skiing.backcountry&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&selm=844abv%24g2e%241%40brokaw.wa.com&rnum=1

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

If your looking for good snow in Rainier the only place you'll find it right now is in the Tatoosh.The snowfield right now has a little bit of sketchy ice on it with the occasional turnable snow. The snowfield is however a great ski/board but i'd wait until we get more snow, the freezing level has been high and its been raining to like 7000 feet. If your a good skier I'd recommend the snowfield variation that takes off on to the nisqually at 9000 feet the snow will be alot less wind blown there. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0