Seen on R&I online

Dru

I suspect a sprayer from this site [laf] posted this on R&i online:

Pacific Northwest (posted by Billy Bob) ---date climbed: February 8, 2002 Me and my partner shot up the North face of Rainier with crappy weather. We hit the base of Thermogennises on the Willis Wall. With the weather being bad we decided not to rope up or use belays, when your as good as me you can do that. We climbed for 12 hours straight and reached the summit at 0323 hrs on Feb 9th. Lets see if any of you whimps out there can top that, I doubt it though.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:
Thermogenisis literally translated means "generation of heat"...blah blah

It's spelled Thermogenesis. I was arrogantly making fun of the R&I poster's spelling. But now I will make fun of yours. Thanks for the science lesson Newton. tongue.gif" border="0

That line looks more promising than the other Willis Wall lines...which is to say, terrifying and optimistic.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: imorris ]

quote:

Originally posted by max:
I had always thought (assumed) thermogenesis refered to a geologic process pertinant to Rainier. Obviously I could be wrong.

Yup, you are. [laf]tongue.gif" border="0

Tibetan Buddhist monks learned controlled thermogenesis. to prove they can do it they get put in a wet ice cave with seven wet sheets wrapped around their body and they cantcome out until all the sheets are dry. Or so I read in a book about tibet rolleyes.gif" border="0

Sounds cheaper than buying a MET5 but probably takes longer to learn how to operate. I bet Twight can do it though. That guy knows brain synchronization OOOOH!!!! rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by CascadeClimber:
Dru-

Did you see the Nat. Geo. special on those monks? Each year in Feb they trek from their monastary at 16,000 up to 18k and sleep outside all night with nothing more than their robes. Many make the trek barefoot. No frostbite, no shivering.

Now there is a mountaineering skill to have.

I tried it myself. Apparently you are supposed to meditate, go into a trance, and visualize a flame spreading from the center of your body out to your extremities and heating you up. I got as far as the trance part rolleyes.gif" border="0

Im gonna keep trying though, so I can ditch the fleece and down and climb everything wrapped in a wet cotton sheet.

grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:

It's spelled Thermogenesis. I was arrogantly making fun of the R&I poster's spelling. But now I will make fun of yours. Thanks for the science lesson Newton.
tongue.gif" border="0

That line looks more promising than the other Willis Wall lines...which is to say, terrifying and optimistic.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: imorris ]

Ouch! I guess it doesn't help to say that I know how to spell it.

I saw that route from liberty ridge. I have better harder routes to concider...I think it was climbed by accident and avalanched multiple times the minute they topped out.

BUT-

This poster/sprayed has a point. Nice job and good pace. Still, the guy sounds like a dick, and I wonder if he really did that route. Smells like bullshit to me..."Hey its really crappy weather, let's go do thermogenisis!". I dunno? Hats off if its true.

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:

Sounds like a Wickwire climb. What's "Thermogennises"? An illness?
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Thermogenisis literally translated means "generation of heat". In physiology, it is related to the burning of fat by specialized adipose tissue, as a way for the body to rid itself of extra fat tissue. In older folks, this process can shut down, which is why we, I mean they tend to "spread" after thirty or so.

quote:

Originally posted by CraigA:
So I was just wondering...what would RMI guides do if you showed up for a guided climb with nothing more than shorts and a tee-shirt? Would they let you climb after you wrapped yourself up and dried their laundry?
confused.gif" border="0
Just wondering
tongue.gif" border="0

I will never know cause I will never be guided. tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I tried it myself. Apparently you are supposed to meditate, go into a trance, and visualize a flame spreading from the center of your body out to your extremities and heating you up. I got as far as the trance part
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Im gonna keep trying though, so I can ditch the fleece and down and climb everything wrapped in a wet cotton sheet.

grin.gif" border="0

I had heard about this and had my own personal attempt in an unexpected bivy on the grand tit in winter with no sleeping bag. It kinda worked. I'm sure practice makes perfect eventually.

• 3 years later...
Originally posted by CascadeClimber:

Dru-

Did you see the Nat. Geo. special on those monks? Each year in Feb they trek from their monastary at 16,000 up to 18k and sleep outside all night with nothing more than their robes. Many make the trek barefoot. No frostbite, no shivering.

Now there is a mountaineering skill to have.

Dru Said:

I tried it myself. Apparently you are supposed to meditate, go into a trance, and visualize a flame spreading from the center of your body out to your extremities and heating you up. I got as far as the trance part :rolleyes.gif:

How's that thermogenesis training coming along Dru?