Sticky Approach Shoe

sprocket

After slipping and sliding my way off the SCW last weekend for the second time in trail runners and watching others with stickier shoes motor ahead of me I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buy a pair. Any reccomendations? Thoughts? I saw the Climing mag really liked the Mad Rock Fanatics. I know there are some strong opinions on Mad Rock in general but anyone had experience with these. Would be nice if the shoe I purchased was solid enough for a easy/moderate alpine approach and was functional for 5.6ish climbing. I normally climb 5.8/5.9 in rock shoes.

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just picked up a pair of the discontinued sportiva's from Mgear's clearance sale.

My general philosophy is to buy the cheapest pair I can and wear them for the season that it takes to wear them out...

sucks to be a throw away consumer but except for those blue scarpas that were discontinued six years ago, i've never had a pair last more than one season.

Take MattStan's advice and try a bunch on and get the one that fits best. I like the CTC's too, but I know some folks that dig the Sportiva and Garmonts.

I used to just use old running shoes for approach shoes, but really appreciate having sticky rubber shoes for stuff like the granite sidewalk in Darrington. thumbs_up.gif