What kind of conditions for 0 degree bag

Where do you draw the line on what kind of sleeping bag to take - like taking a 0 degree bag for Rainier or any cascade volcano climb? What kind of mountains require what kinds of bags - how high can you comfortably take a 0 degree bag i.e. what kind of mountains etc. I m going to s. america and want to buy a bag that can handle trekking as well as 16,000 feet and above volcanoes? will a 0 degree bag suffice

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a guy who took a 20 deg down bag on Rainier in December... Mark Twight uses a 20 deg synthetic in Alaska in winter.... last summer I used a 30 deg down bag on Rainier...my two partners each had 0 deg bags... we all slept fine... a possible recommendation for versatility would be about a 10 deg down bag (relatively light and warm) supplemented by an overbag (such as the bibler winter bivy = 9 oz) for colder conditions and you can also lay your puffy jacket over sleeping bag inside overbay for extra warmth (as per jim nelson's website promountainsports.com)...just a thought...

I've always used a 10-15 degree bag and found it the right balance between weight and comfort. Most nights at 10K on Rainier I end up sleeping with the bag unzipped, even when the temperature outside the tent is around 10 degrees. The bivy and down jacket can be added on for those really cold nights.

I take a one-pound, 25-degree bag on Rainier in the winter, and have never been cold on the three winter climbs I have done. Saving the weight with the bag lets me bring more fuel and food. Since you have a down jacket with you anyway on a winter Rainier climb, it makes sense to incorporate it into your sleeping system for greater efficiency.

I use the Feathered Friends Volant jacket inside the Vireo on top of a Thermarest ProLite 3/ short yellow foam pad combo inside a single wall tent and have been plenty toasty. Eating a good dinner, being hydrated, and snuggling up to a couple hot water bottles makes a big difference, too. I used to use a -10 bag in the winter in the Cascades but it was too warm and too heavy. I like the Vireo system a lot, plus it is cheap enough to justify owning it in addition to another sleeping bag. With the amount of time I have spent in mine, it has definitely been a good investment.

I know people who take 0-degree bags to Denali and Aconcagua. While it is unusual, it is not unheard of. For your trip a bag of that warmth should suffice, but you could be carrying excessive weight if you use it in the Cascades. Lots of mountains in South America are in low latitudes and have milder conditions, so you may be able to use a reasonably light bag on your trip.

If you invest in a synthetic ~20d bag, how long will it keep it's temp rating? I've been told 3-5 yrs depending on storage(stuffed or loose) and then it looses 5d per year after that due to fibers breaking down. Have you found that to be true? Should one compensate for this by getting a slightly warmer bag?

high humidity is also going to make it feel colder. In dry atmosphere you can probably get away with a higher rating.

Edited by 111

"Invest"? You can get a Sierra Designs Wild Bill (+20deg polarguard 3d) for $89 @ campmor. Replace it in a few years, no big deal. 2-5yr depending on use is about right. Don't compensate with a heavier bag, just replace it when it loses too much loft.

Another example of the Disposable Society of America. rolleyes.gif

I took a 20 degree synth bag + a thin overbag to Aconcagua. Wore my DAS parka and a few nites filled my platypus up with hot water and put it under the parka. I was never cold. Used a 5/8 " yellow hardman pad with a thinner inflatable on top. Heat is generated by our body not the sleeping bag so eat and drink correctly and you will have less problems.