Strawberry Range road access?

fettster

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We climbed and skied Strawberry Mtn two weekends ago from the trailhead that goes to Strawberry Lake. From Prairie City, we drove on FR60 to within a mile of the trailhead. By now, I'm sure it's melted out completely to the TH. Hope this helps ...

Cool, thanks for the info for sure. Not decided yet what I'll be doing if anything next weekend, but Strawberry is definitely appealing as I've never been there!

How technical was the approach? Would snowshoes/trekking poles be enough, or should I bring ice axe and crampons as well? I take it it was still pretty cold at night.

Fettster - the snow is disappearing FAST. The SW(?) ridge of the mountain is completely melted out although there is still snow on the north side. When we were up there it was very soft in the afternoon. If you were up very early in the morning an ice axe might be nice but there's nothing too technical.

Cool. Did you generally follow the terrain the summmer trail passes through, or just take a direct approach heading west to Strawberry Mountain from Strawberry Lake? It looks like you could really knock down the mileage doing that, but perhaps the terrain doesn't allow for it.

We went cross-country to the lake, but then generally followed the trail around the lake, onto the ridge, and up to the summit. You're right - you could shave off some miles by taking a direct line from the lake, but it is much steeper and it looked like there could be a small rock band near the top. Probably doable, but we were skinning up so we took the gentler approach. Have fun!