[TR] Mt. Lawson- NW basin from river 5/13/2006

klenke

Thing about those expedition accounts that amuses me is when the parties come upon hunter huts and other signs that others have gone there before .... for some time. Quinalt tribe pubs point out that inner Olympics were trade routes for many years. I'm not dismissing what they did, just think that they got a lot of press and hoopla, and made it harder than it could have been. I mean, trying to raft up the Elwha? pfffft.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, I could have free solo'd the press route in day. i think they just wanted to enjoy the winter scenery and the bear fat, so they took their time. no doubt tom, dick, and harry beat them to the first traverse but didn't publish it in the press because they did it just for their own "inner growth".

On an unrelated topic, I'm curious if anyone here made it up to the Anderson Glacier this past fall. I've heard it is completely gone now.

if that is true, there is one I remember seeing as a teen that is no more. i might run up there pretty soon to confirm if no one checks in.

Let me know if you need some company. I'd like to bike to the ranger station, hike to the glacier, and out again as a longer day-trip. Probably would wait until the seasonal snow melts down to see what ice remains, maybe in August. Strange that the once smaller glacier nearby - Linsley's Glacier - is still as big as ever. I'm not sure about the Eel, but it was a lot bigger to begin with.

Tweezer flew over last year and took some revealing pictures:

5243IMG_0780-med.JPG

That's Linsley's below the west peak, and what remains of the Anderson Glacier is just above the lake on the bottom right. It is shocking that that lake didn't exist 80 years ago - that area was covered with over 300 feet of glacial ice!