Rainier on Memorial Wkd?

Maurice

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will probably be the only one there... the key to the longmire gate is under a piece of moss near a log like 1ft-420ft off the road, just look for the pine needles on the ground......

make sure to close the gate, would hate for another conseccionaire to sneak in andstart making a mess!!!

Generally the "season" does not start until about mid June. So there shouldn't be that many people on the mountain. However, as VB said, "If the weather is good there will be more people. If the weather is bad there will be less people."

Also the weather on Rainier at that time of year can be damn near winter conditions, especially above 10,000 feet.

I went on a training run up to muir 2 years ago memorial day weekend and not only was Camp Muir to capacity, half the damn snowfield was covered by tents - the weather was ok, you should expect a crowd if you are climbing this side. If you must go that weekend, use a less popular route like Willis Wall or Curtis Ridge for a less crowded experience. mad.gif" border="0

Went up from Paradise on Memorial Day weekend in '99. The whole first day, about as far as you could see in front of you and behind you was a string of climbers. Sucked. Least enjoyable climbing experience I ever had. Good weather that weekend (at lower elev.), hardly anybody summited due to high wind. We did get treated to 60-70 mph winds on our retreat, between the Flats and Cathedral Gap. Most "interesting" traverse I've ever done.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Went up from Paradise on Memorial Day weekend in '99. The whole first day, about as far as you could see in front of you and behind you was a string of climbers. Sucked.

Sounds like Mount Fuji. When I climbed Fuji-san I could touch the pack of the person in front of me as could the person behind me touch my pack. Thousands of people in a line like ants-- it was like nothing I've ever experienced in the mountains.

quote:

Sounds like Mount Fuji. When I climbed Fuji-san I could touch the pack of the person in front of me as could the person behind me touch my pack. Thousands of people in a line like ants-- it was like nothing I've ever experienced in the mountains.

You must've been there in the summer. Last April (still "winter" season) there wasn't a soul on it... When we told the locals that we were climbing Fuji they insisted that no one climbs it in winter and that we would probably die up there. Guess not so surprising given that some knucklehead had gone up there gearless the week before and tumbled 3,000' to his death. On the other hand, it's a cake-walk w/ ice axe and crampons. Just one big snow field to the summit. Pretty surreal experience as the summer trail and summit are covered in buildings, stone markers and tori gates... not quite the same experience as Rainier...

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: sayjay ]

Climbed Liberty Ridge two years in a row on that weekend.

2000 route was full and we had to hike in from the Carbon River. We took our time to let the parties ahead of us get off Thumb Rock.

We got blown off at Thumb Rock, really nasty storm; weather report was suposidly good till Tuesday but Sunday night WHAMO. Lenticular cloud descended to Thumb Rock. The good part about it was we had delayed our summit attempt to allow Thumb Rock to empty, saving our toes. The parties ahead got stuck and one of them lost some toes I heard.

2001, we made it with not a person in sight after the Carbon Glacier. Ran into Scott Kinkle (sp?) the naval aviator that was shot in the head coming back from Rainier. He and another party of three were the only ones on that side that year, both parties turned around after getting to the Carbon Glacier.

Coming down through Camp Shurman we ran into a good number of people camped there, lucky for us there was a nice wanded trail from the summit as spin drift and fog rolled reducing visability on the descent. I figure you'll have more company then you'd want on the popular route, but the lines are still fresh that time of the year. Have fun. smile.gif" border="0

FYI.

The Seattle Mountaineers has a basic climbing crevasse rescue class above Paradise that weekend. Half the group will be on Nisqually glacier and the other half doing roped travel and team ice axe arrest below Panorama Point. They will also be out there the next weekend as well.

well,if we are doing mt,fuji sprrryy.the way to avoid the crowds is to go and start in the morning

insted of the usual night hike to see the sunrise

on the summit.when i did it last year jul 07,we

did see and talked to people,but there was no need to wait in line.besides we used brakes for more beer-wine intake.i can proudly say that i,m responsible for making loge keeper totaly drunk!

• 1 month later...

I heard the Ringling Bros Circus will be at Panarama Point and a Boy Scout Jamboree at Camp Muir. Also this weekend will be the first annual Mothers against drunk climbers ballon race. It will be flying over Mount Rainier. The Mothers will be dropping free Gatorade to all the climbers. Other than this it won't be too busy.

Have Fun. [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-15-2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: roboclimber ]