the hut in winter

Alpine_Tom

I’m planning a Gib Ledges climb for some time in the next few weeks, and I’m trying to decide whether to haul up a tent or stay in the hut. I’ve been at Muir in December and January in years past, and the hut felt to me like a walk-in freezer. It’s my guess that you’d be substantially warmer in a tent than in the hut, since there’s so much less space to warm.

Am I full of shit, or does this make sense?I like the idea of saving the five pounds or so of a tent, but I don’t want to be miserable either, especially in the event of bad weather forcing an extra day up there.The tent in question is a Sierra Designs "Tiros"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience, i've never been terribly cold in the shelter, as long as there are other climbers sharing it with me. asphixiation (sp?) is a genuine concern of mine, however, because of multiple stoves burning in the poorly-ventilated building. so i usually tent it. but again, i've never been cold sleeping in the hut. i do have a killer sleeping bag, though! smile.gif" border="0

and you must like the smoke of the "evil weed" if you are staying in the hut.

I'd say bring a tent and camp at the bee-hive if possible. It looks like a really nice bivy and you can trundle the RMI shack with big ice clods for entertainment and a little extra work out.

[sarcasm] and if you stay in the hut you should disclose that when talking about your winter climb so people don't mistake you for a real climber cause everyone knows "real climers" dont accept any assistance or cheat in any way [sarcasm] rolleyes.gif" border="0

We are finally going to get a chance to try the ledges.I will find out in a few hours if my partner can go on Sat instead of Sun. . Looks like it should be decent until Mon.It is tough coordinating weather, work, and partners work schedule for a climb and don't forget the MOST IMPORTANT factor THE WIVES O.K.