Advice on Avalanche Beacons Please

Bigtree

Does anyone have any thoughts on avalanche beacons, as in, digital vs. analogue and value for money? I have used analogue previously but digital or dual mode seems where manufacturers are heading these days.

The "Nic-Impex ARVA Advanced Avalanche Beacon" carried by MEC looks good:

5008751s_v1_m56577569830561988.jpg

The "Backcountry Access Tracker DTS Avalanche Beacon" also seems increasingly popular:

5006263s_v1_m56577569830547436.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll sell my first one to you:

st-bernard.jpg

with or without draining the keg first?

On a serious note, the people who've used the ARVA like it, the Pieps DSP, Mammut Barryvox or Tracker are also good. The 'best' is what works for you.... or is on sale.

Can't go wrong with the Tracker. Tried and true and just 'bout everyone touts it as the best and easiest to use. I personally prefer the Mammut Barryvox, by only a very small margin. Either is A-OK in my book. I don't know much about that Arva.

The general consensus these days seems to be that for pros (ski patrol, guides) who practice regularly with their beacons, any of them (analogue or digital) are fine. For recreational users who probably don't practice as much as they should (if ever), the digital technology helps to simplify the search process and speed things up.

Check out this thread from a couple of months ago.

Searching for "beacon" or any of the various beacon models on the TelemarkTips and TGR forums will also turn up lots of info/opinions.

if you're looking for a comparison of different beacons, check out www.mountainlife.us. On the menu Tabs up top, go to Consulting, then Avalanches, then Avalanch Tranceivers. You'll find a chart with all the important data laid out for you for all the major players on the market. The entire site is affiliated with Barryvox, but this chart is unbiased and will provide you with some good info.