Icicle Thievery

viktor

So some worthless arsehole stripped the bolts, hangers and chains from the Paco/Zorro routes on Small World Buttress. WTF? Although the guidebook claims you can walk-off the top, it seems incorrect as I was told anyone grabbing that stuff would have to rappel into it.

Anyway, this realy sucks and it's a kick in the groin to all the generous folks that put their time and money into working out new routes.

I'd like to hear the justification for this. Anti-bolting terrorists or what?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed several places, for example Barney's Rubble, where the hangers are missing off of bolts. Is it cool to replace them? Should I just bring hangers to use while I am there, and then take them back home with me?

I am happy to donate hangers, so long as some irate climber isn't going to steal them.

Thoughts confused.gif

P.S. Does anybody know what size nut will fit the bolt threads out there? Given it's a 3/8 bolt, can I figure it out? Thanks.

So some worthless arsehole stripped the bolts, hangers and chains from the Paco/Zorro routes on Small World Buttress. WTF? Although the guidebook claims you can walk-off the top, it seems incorrect as I was told anyone grabbing that stuff would have to rappel into it.

Anyway, this realy sucks and it's a kick in the groin to all the generous folks that put their time and money into working out new routes.

Well how did they get down then? Must have walked off. No?

I noticed several places, for example Barney's Rubble, where the hangers are missing off of bolts. Is it cool to replace them? Should I just bring hangers to use while I am there, and then take them back home with me?

I am happy to donate hangers, so long as some irate climber isn't going to steal them.

Thoughts confused.gif

P.S. Does anybody know what size nut will fit the bolt threads out there? Given it's a 3/8 bolt, can I figure it out? Thanks.

Get a 3/8-16 nut. Match the grade too, if it's stainless bolt, get a stainless nut.

John recommended Loctite for the studs before putting on the nuts to keep the nuts and hangers on it, sounded like a good idea. Course, if you hit it with a wrench after the loctite sets, you'll have a spinning bolt instead of a missing hanger. Not necesarilly what you would want either.

Other than that, sounds like you locals have to figure out what you really want to do.

Well how did they get down then? Must have walked off. No?

Why I'm bothering to respond is beyond me but...

slung boulder and yarded/climbed back up. ran rope around nearby tree and yarded/climbed back up. had fat ass friend lower 'em and yarded/climbed back up, etc., etc., etc.

Duh.