mt rainier 14,000 ft of wind

marek

for those interested in mt rainier.myself and 3 others (i will not mention names since some called in sick)went for ingraham direct on feb

12-13.i think that harry wapler and jeff renners should hang at the same tree for they now 100%

inacurate weather forecast.ok let,s get to the climb.we went to the muir on the 12th with light winds and snow conditions being very good.we all made it at around 4hrs.(dru)the fumes at the hut

were just fine--brethable(again-english!!)

we left the hut at 5am with light wind,s and some

gust,s.we got to the flat,s at the sunrise.snow at the flat,s was at times knee deep but mostly less.ingraham in very good condition with boot high snow.at the beginning of ingraham glacier proper wind,s started incrising up to 40-50 mph

with blindning spinn drift,s,to the point that you could not see anyone on the rope.i led from muir to 12,500 ft (top of dc)then another polish plow took over.at that time wind,s were steady 50mph with stonger gust,s and ever present spinn drift in our faces.as we got higher the wind,s increased as well.the route above dc was in good condition as well,with few minor crevasse crossings.when we got to 14,000 ft (baromether and

visual contact with crater rimm,5-10 min walk)

we decided to turn around.we were not able to force our way against the wind,let alone walk.the last 15 min we were basicly on our feet and hands,

and still being blown away.as we walked down the mountain,wind,s picked up as well.spinn drift,s on ingraham reduced visibility to none.at that time i fell in to crevasse twice (my first time).

and like that all way to muir.after we packed we went the snow-field in constant 40-60 mph wind,s.

and ever present spinn drifts.pann point being

foged inn ad the darkness aproaching,we got lost

a bit(auch!!)but safely made it to the car by 8 pm.a hart breaking turn around,but it could not be done in the conditions we were in.

for those commentin this tread, please stick to the story! othervise create your own tread!

respectfully

marek

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have never climbed Rainier, I wouldn't be upset with not standing on the very top. If you were at 14,000+, as far as I'm concerned you climbed the mountain! My 3rd time up my partner felt satisfied waiting at the rim while I walked across and up the last little bit. I had to do it but if conditions were like what you describe, I wouldn't be bummed. Hell of an effort!!!

thank,s guys for your positive support!i know we gave it all we had.but i,ll try again next winter as well.i have summited rainier 9 times via 7 routes and this winter summit is just about the last thing i,m really interested in on rainier.

gib ledges should be just fine,there is plenty of snow on the mountain.last year in january there was very thin ice,about 1/4 inch thick,so we tried

the first section and then bailed since there was no protection at all.the rock is shitty,i would not put pro into this.of course we could not use

screws as well.