The Zipper been skied?

Fairweather

I've climbed the gullies Lane Peak a few times but I'm curious if anyone has, or know anyone who has actually skied The Zipper or The Fly. I think The Fly would be straightforward. Lovers Lane would be suicidal. But The Zipper is right on the cusp.

I'm no "extreme" skier, but anyone out there have info that would satisfy my curiosity?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother Al: Here is a description of the North Face of Lane Peak. There are two main chutes that together look like the letter "V" that begin at the bottom of the face. The leftward slanting chute of this "V" is "the Zipper". It is a popular climb with a short steep section about 3/4's of the way up. It ends at a notch and some scrambling up the south face and a ridge will gain the summit. The rightward slanting chute is often called "The Fly". It is broader, not as steep, and likewise ends at a notch. To the left of the Zipper is a narrow straight chute that looks rather exciting and intimidating from a distance. This is "Lover's Lane". Its steepest bit is just near the top, where a chockstone melts out during late Spring. At the top of Lover's Lane, it is necessary to do an exposed traverse into the steepest part of the Zipper, and then finish by way of the top of Zipper. There is also a route, which me and a pal believe we pioneered, that goes right up the middle of the North Face, beginning in a short chute that begins at the bottom of the "V". After that chute ends, you can traverse right into some trees and climb rock and bushes until a vertical reddish rock wall is met. This is the crux. It's delicate climbing with maybe a 5.7 move in there and that's the key to the upper peak which is either snow or class 3 or 4 scrambling, with plenty of trees for a running belay, until the summit ridge is reached.

I've considered skiing the Zipper but it probably would require a lot of hop-turns and sliding as there isn't much room for anything else. And if you mess up without a belay, you might be doomed. I've glissaded the dang thing in perfect snow conditions for such but I wouldn't recommend it.

Lane Peak is a fine peak.

- Dwayner

when i "climbed" the zipper, it was pretty straightforward. beautiful place, but it looked a little more interesting (from a climbing perspective) from the road. good day out none-the-less. of course i have absolutely no idea, but i would be really surprised if someone hasnt skied it. i met a couple of young seattle guys in chamonix last month, and they were into skiing some pretty interesting terrain. they seemed to be pretty psyched on getting out a lot, and having the zipper in their backyard and in their faces everytime they drive to paradise, i bet one of them has done it.