It's snowing big time!

Mike_Gauthier

the west side road is pretty much closed at the turn off on 706. there are plans for a shuttle bus, but they've got a few details to still work out.

beck’s comments are accurate; some enforce the "new" procedure more fervently than others. robert has a great point too, chains are really cool b/c most drivers around here are new to snow. the specifics of my "chain incident" however were VERY frustrating but that is unimportant now b/c i ALWAYS carry chains.

when visiting rainier, carry chains, and your boards, tools, crampons, etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure mr. radon, it might be stupid to not carry tire chains when visiting rainier in the winter. but, i have spent a lot of time in the park in the winter, in my 4WD vehicle, and never even come close to needing them. and , the issue here is that the park turns people away who don't carry tire chains. people who drove from seattle or portland or further. people who weren't informed that tire chains were needed. and the park doesn't offer any alternative means to enter the park, such as a shuttle. that's the real issue here, at least in my eyes

i'll add this b/c some things have changed... you only have to carry chains if you're headed to paradise. you can still get to longmire w/0 them... and if you think about it, that makes perfect sense. do you expect the tourists (from all parts of the world) who stay in the longmire inn to carry tire chains (i.e. buy chains when they get their rental car?) who would think of that at the airport???... this is especially the case considering the park can plow and sand the road... PLUS, there was NO advance warning OR signage outside of the park... but things have changed. ie, their are now public notices and sign have been added outside the park...

when visiting rainier in the winter, always carry tire chains...

4WD? I came from Colorado where 4WD is 4W slide.... One big snow storm I counted 18 out of 19 cars sitting in the ditch were 4WDs. The only thing a 4WD is good for coming down from Paradise is to accelerate faster off the road.

Who would go up to Paradise and not bring chains in the winter? I'd have to agree with the park service here. I've been up there in the winter and had the weather totally turn on me. I made damn sure the only person behind me was the snow plow. All those 4WD'ers sliding on the ice without chains behind me?

Who would climb Rainier without crampons? "Well I didn't need them when I went up in the morning." is a great excuse for calling ol' Mike to save your ass.