Potter Climbs Delicate Arch

dbb

How about prosecution for filming in a nation park without a permit. I'm assuming he didn't have one because if they put down "climbing Delicate Arch", it may have been flagged and denied. It could fall under Breaking News, but probably not filmed by a news crew.

From Arches NP Site

Permits are not generally required for:

Visitors engaged in filming/photography intended for their personal use and enjoyment

The filming of a breaking news event by news crews

Filming conducted pursuant to a cooperative agreement or contract with the National Park Service

A request for a filming or photography permit may be denied if:

The requested activity represents a potential for an adverse impact on the parks natural, cultural, wilderness or recreational resources or the visitor experience, or poses health or safety risks

The requirements for supervising the project exceed the staffing capacity of the affected park

The applicant fails to obtain insurance/bonding, or to agree to pay assessed cost recovery

The request includes entry into areas closed to the visiting public or activities not permitted to the average park visitor

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we got permits for filming in Denali NP for a Non Profit organizaion. It was easy and I think they even waived the fee since we were non-profit.

Basically they want to know what\where you are doing your filming. If you will have one camera set up in el cap meadows vs a full movie production that may require blocking traffic or other NP employees. Then they can require you pay more for extra resources.

AFund press release

Access Fund Condemns Delicate Arch, UT Climb

A recent ascent of Delicate Arch in Utah’s Arches National Park has fueled a firestorm of media coverage and interest from federal land managers, politicians and the climbing community. See Park tweaks rules after Delicate Arch climb in the May 10 edition of the SALT LAKE TRIBUNE (http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3804296). Many individuals—both climbers and non-climbers—have expressed outrage at this event, and the climb has received both statewide and national media attention.

The Access Fund does not condone the climb of Delicate Arch and the actions of this individual are not representative of the climbing community.

The Access Fund supports justifiable climbing restrictions which protect natural and cultural resources and works towards effective and reasonable climbing management policies is cooperation with land managers and the greater climbing community. This process of discussion limits unnecessary restrictions, results in climbing management policies based on mutual agreement, and helps to ensure cooperation and effective enforcement of climbing policies.

We trust the public will understand that the actions of one person should not condemn the larger community of climbers who are equally appalled by this event. The Access Fund urges all climbers to recognize and limit the impacts of their climbing practices on the environment and other users of the land and to respect existing closures. If questionable restrictions arise, climbing advocacy efforts opposing such unreasonable restrictions should follow proper administrative procedures.

Climbers pride ourselves on respect for the environment and the Access Fund’s stewardship efforts around the country speak directly to the greater climbing public taking responsibility for climbing resources.

I hate to see this can of worms get opened too. I have enjoyed climbing in Arches partly because the regs were straight forward. Ya arrive at the gate and they say pretty much climb whatever doesn't have a name, use colored chalk, and approach on rocks or roads. Other than that it's pretty much just play nice and have a good time.

I do not forsee huge changes in what is available. But, the potential of a legalese "document" being produced as opposed to a brief welcome paragraph in their handout is unfortunate. Especially if this is due to another climber that woudn't play nice.

So we're sacrificing Potter on the altar of public stupidity to shield ourselves from future recriminations even though he did nothing unique (arch has been climbed, HD vid climbs are not new, comercial climbs are not new).

Nothing unique? Can you cite another instance in which somebody climbed Delicate Arch with full photo/video coverage, released the story to the press, and then defended what he had done? Listing the components of this event separately is meaningless.

Perhaps it's the internet lynch mob that disgusts me most - the people who lust to "yank his sponsorship" and who do little positive for the climbing community to support access. Hell if they'd bother to send emails we'd be better off.

Your complaints about people not contributing to other access efforts are a smokescreen. That's irrelevant to whether Potter's Delicate Arch climb deserves to be condemned. Actions have consequences and in this case an appropriate consequence would be for Potter to lose his status as an "ambassador" for climbing.

Based on recent posts, it appears that the chips are starting to fall, and the climbing community is not on Potter's side.

Your complaints about people not contributing to other access efforts are a smokescreen. That's irrelevant to whether Potter's Delicate Arch climb deserves to be condemned. Actions have consequences and in this case an appropriate consequence would be for Potter to lose his status as an "ambassador" for climbing.

Based on recent posts, it appears that the chips are starting to fall, and the climbing community is not on Potter's side.

Smokescreen? I was not covering anything up - certainly not a stupid stunt such as this. Merely attempting to point out that if climber's wish to improve access and our stature with landmanagers and the public we need to both condemn persons who violate restrictions and work in a positive manner to improve relationships. The two are linked in my mind, yin and yang, but we place more emphasis on the first than the second. In many ways analagous to the contemporary Democratic party - it spends it's time finding faults, but can't provide a positive coherent and cohesive message, so gets trounced.

I'm not condoning the publicity stunt, but I dislike the idea of trying to get a guy "sacked" over this (or in trouble w/ his employer).

A number of valid points have been made (and some not so valid points I might add.) What about writing Dean Potter directly to tell him what you think?

Let's see...

Arden rows across the Alantic ocean in a row boat, an amazing acomplishment!... 500 views and 5 responses.

Dean Potter free solos 40 feet of forbidden stone and raps off without leaving a trace...4000+ views and 7 pages of holier-than-thou drivel.

What does this say about us?

Let's see...

Arden rows across the Alantic ocean in a row boat, an amazing acomplishment!... 500 views and 5 responses.

Dean Potter free solos 40 feet of forbidden stone and raps off without leaving a trace...4000+ views and 7 pages of holier-than-thou drivel.

What does this say about us? Well, one hint may be that the numbers are almost exactly the opposite over on cascaderowers.com.

Let's see...

And what about Mike on City Park? rockband.gif Thats two amazing things in one week? thumbs_up.gif

Let's see...

It says I'm more concerned with continuing access to desert climbing areas being sabatoged by some selfish media whoring, than about some guy playing rub-a-dub-dub in the big atlantic bathtub.

That you're to dense to grasp this..what does this say about you?