Potter Climbs Delicate Arch

dbb

thank dog goatboi has given his thumbs down disapproval. case closed.

Your sarcasm is most insightful and interesting, but what about my points do you disagree with, Llama?

I'm more interested in the topic of this thread than anonymous insults from Llamas..

Can't goats and Llamas co-exist??? wave.gifyellaf.gif

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bwahahaha...they cant even charge him...sounds like it wasnt illegal to me..

ya...funny! don't you love pissing off the people who can decide whether you can climb in a particular area or not?

so he gets off, and all of us get to deal with more restrictively worded regulations as well as a black eye for climbers in general over the press on this. looks like we're all winners!

First of all, he didnt do anything illegal...yes he made it clear to the wardens that they have misinformed the public about the regulations regarding climbing and that they should re-word them...

as well as a black eye for climbers in general over the press on this. looks like we're all winners!

Isnt there a post with all the links to all the magazine's so you can write in and tellem how bad this is..so who's giving the bad press here...

First of all, he didnt do anything illegal...yes he made it clear to the wardens that they have misinformed the public about the regulations regarding climbing and that they should re-word them...

Potter did do something illegal. The regulation just wasn't specific enough to stand up to a constitutional challenge in court. Public / state perception and access is the issue here, not whether Potter will get ticketed. That is irrelevant. The Park Service didn't misinform anyone, what are you talking about?

i believe the links posted were not to magazines (the press) but to potter's sponsors (those funding his "work").

Focusing on whats important:

http://www.accessfund.org

http://www.succ.org/

Do you give kudos to patagonia for supporting causes like the Access Fund?

Oh whats really important is 'the image' of climbing. Bullshit, you all lovee the rebel schtick and suck it up through a straw. And few of you bother to be involved with the managers in a positive manner - the image improvement that will really make a difference, and cancel out much of the bad will generated by the few.

damn, you're right! potter is an american hero, sticking his finger in the Man's eye for all of us. I thank you potter. thanks for making my life better.

He's not a hero. He's only done what climbers before him have done, and climbers after him will do. Bitching to Patagonia will only eliminate this thorn; it won't eliminate future thorns or even change the 'culture' of climbing so the thorns stop appearing. If we, as climbers, start forming positive relationships (of which we have too few) it will go along way towards eliminating future sources of strain with managers when these thorns appear.

"Innocent", WTF? He admitted to climbing it. Any fool can see that the NPS meant to ban climbing named arches, but the legalese wasn't up to snuff. Him suffering no consequences and climbers suffering a worsened relationship with land managers is the worst possible outcome.

If there's no legal path to punishment, then Patagonia and any other sponsors should do something to take up the slack.

ya it proved he climbed something that was not illegal..if it was he would be fined or another appropriate punishment..

The onus is on him to understand the regs before climbing and filming it for the digi.

Maybe he did maybe he hired a lawyer before hand to interpet the law for him and it was obvious that it was legal to climb...?