Pinnicle from narada falls - beta?

neswstar

Anybody done this? How is route finding? Do you end up on the road most of the way? How much time do you think it will add to the day? Has anyone been up there recently on pinnicle, plummer, lane - or anything else? Thank you for the help!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The North Ridge of Pinnacle Peak is an outstanding climb when it is clad with snow. It is an easy day trip from Narada and probably has substantial cornices on it and sufficient mixed, technical terrain for signficant adventure right now.

At this time of year, the standard Pinnacle Peak (south side) route involves a traverse on a south-facing slope from the Pinnacle - Castle saddle, and a short climb up a chute that can raise avalanche concerns in the sun.

For either route, you climb the hill above Narada Falls (there is usually a boot path in the woods to the left of the avalanche slope) and then follow the road for a mile or two until you are below the peak; then head up the blunt ridge below Pinnacle Peak and enter the Pinnacle - Castle Peak bowl.

Matt - thank you for the beta. I've only been in there a few times - never this early. I'm bring a group of new folks so I was thinking Pinnicle standard. However, I was thinking taking it from the pinnical plummer saddle would be easier. Is there a specific reason you recommend the caslte saddle instead? Also, is Castle doable this time of year? Also, do you know what the angle is there - how avy prone either might be? thank you for all the help - greatly appreciate!!

I don't think it is any easier to go from the Pinnacle Plummer saddle, but if you go that way there will be more travel on steep sun-warmed slopes on the descent, when the danger of sun-warmed slopes is greatest. Also, the Pinnacle - Castle saddle approach is a little shorter.

I have not been up Castle but I'm pretty sure it is pretty straight-forward from that same saddle. The topo map makes it appears as if it might be easier to travel beneath the north face and circle around the east side, though.

Per the NPS website, the road will open on Memorial Day weekend. A suggestion: the slog up the hill above Narada Falls can be a struggle. Do a car drop off at the junction of Stevens Canyon road which is just a short way up the main road and then just walk or skateboard to Reflection Lakes. I think you'll save about 15 minutes of pain.

It was a beautiful day and a great climb - 12 of us got up Castle. The trip up from the end of the parking lot at Narada was very easy. The slope was cold and steps were good. The group did great on the cruise up and had a good time checking out low 5th class rock - most of them for the first time. We saw lots of avy depris piles. Did not stay up for the planned Lane peak trip on Sunday. Just too warm. came home to find out they issued a special Avy warning report. Too warm to climb - Got's to be careful out there. Great trip and the beta really helped. thank you all !!