how hard is it to set up a wiki

ashw_justin

So yeah, I know wiki's are lame... but still, I wonder what a Cascade Climbers wiki would end up looking like? Would it be a highly purified extract of the skillful and comedic essence of this place, or a total f***ing nightmare of latent adolescent brainspooge? Are there any mods who would waste enough time to bother finding out?

You could end up with some pretty nice compiled info, say for any given region or peak, a la summitpose.org, but with some local flavor. Instead of a Rainier forum, you'd have a Rainier Home with some base info, and then the associated threads and TR's.

(I'm sure that's come up before but I guess I'm too lazy to look for it.)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not hard. There are many kinds of wiki, some as easy to set up as unzipping a file and filling out a few form fields. You could do it yourself if you have a web server and 30 minutes.

The hard part is spending the time to organize things in a meaningful way and getting people to use it.

Check out DokuWiki or MediaWiki. I've set up a DokuWiki at work, and it took only a few hours to get it set up. It helps if you know something about PHP. I like DokuWiki because it doesn't use a fancy database, just simple human-readable text files to store the information.

MediaWiki is (I think) the software used by Wikipedia, so it is probably worth checking out also.

I have thought long and hard about using a wiki to create an online guidebook of sorts, and I really do think it would work well, but I also think it has limitations and really would fall short of the *ideal* tool.

I'm cooking up trip report system version 2 which will have some pretty sickay features.... kind of a wiki on crack, or I guess about cracks, peaks, hikes, etc.

If anyone has features they think a cool TR/online guide system should have hit me up in a PM or email and let me know so I can add it in. I'll have a live running version of my madness up sometime this month.