Fossil Rock assess

spineguy

A friend and myself were thinking about checking out Fossil rock (yelm area). I've heard that access may be an issue due to logging(?) Does anyone know if or how to access it without stepping on any toes. Any other info would be great.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it has been so long since I was last there that I dont know what access is like any more. as I recall though it seems like there is always an "issue" but everytime I have been out there we havent had any problems. generally I think they only log on the weekdays. on the weekends there is usually lots of people out using the roads that access the climbing for biking, walking, etc. I would say just go for it.

Not really any access issues durning the weekends, Piessner road access is best durning the week and the locals would ask if you keep climbing in the area stealth, it's best to be with someone that has been there before, there are a lot of wrong logging roads to get off on, don't be sucked in by the big wall on the right on the way in, keep going uphill to the end of the loggin road and you can see Tomahawk tower.there are about a dozen good climbs and a lot of crap, be selective if it looks like crap it proable is. Fossil has a great view of Rainer and the locals are very friendly, the first day there stay around the battle of the buldge area on the better looking stuff.

OK we went today. cool place...will come back soon. access is no problem, and honestly the place is under-rated. We spent time at Boyal Bobbins and battle of the bulge walls...they were well worth the visit. Simply stated: a cool local crag, with it's own individual quirks (like holds that should break off but strangely don't)

....a cool local crag, with it's own individual quirks (like holds that should break off but strangely don't)

One of the activists there (back in the early 1990's) told me about a fall off of Battle of the Bulge in which a bolt pulled....not out of the rock, rather the cobble that held the bolt pulled out of the wall!

That would be the first bolt failure I have heard of at Fossil The battle of the buldge is well bolted with good hardware and a 3 bolt anchor , I have spend a lot of time and money upgradeing the classic climbs at Fossil, but have not done much in recent years for fear of the loss of the crag, If you climb there be in climber stealth mode ie: stash your gear, act like your a hiker or hunter and if you do anything inappropriate please don't let on your a climber, access is very fragile. Many local people and church groups climb to the top for the view of MT Rainer, a nice lowland crag when North Bend is wet, if the road is dry Fossil is dry, The rock is so porous that it is dry 5 minutes after a shower.

It is what it is thumbs_up.gif

LUCKY