[TR] Monteserat, Spain

Climb: Somewhere in Monterserat

Date of Climb: Sometime around 4/17/2006

I decided to embark on a grueling epic climb in the rough part of Spain. To gird my loins for this endeavour, I decided I would bivy in a two-hundred-year-old French vinyard.

4732vinyard.jpg

Fortunately, the room was equipped with a huge soak tub and came with a bottle of wine made in the area. I felt ready.

The next day I took off for Monterserat. The drive ended up at this:

4732mons_wall.jpg

It was already afternoon, so it didn't make sense to start climbing. My partner and I decided to walk around a bit and just take a peek. This is what we saw:

4732monast.jpg

and this:

4732first_climb.jpg

We ran--yes, actually ran--back to the car and got the gear. I was so excited to climb that I actually ripped a piece of the climb right off.

4732scar.jpg

Here it is:

4732peice.jpg

Somewhere underneath it is the evidence of me shitting myself; I carried on, without the undercling I had removed, and topped out all too quickly.

I looked over and saw the most interesting formation

4732poop.jpg

We decided maybe we might just want to get another climb in that day, so we walked a little ways and started up the next one we saw--it looked pretty short and easy to handle.

Here is the first pitch:

4732c2p1.jpg

And the second pitch:

4732c2p2.jpg

and the surprise third pitch:

4732c2p3.jpg

After topping out, I looked up and saw a stone hut with a fire going. Other smelly climbers were there and a whole shitload of gear was stored inside. I wondered how most folks got up there (I hadn't seen one single solitary other climbing person actually climbing the whole time I was there), and looked down and saw this:

4732stair.jpg

Gear Notes: A handful of draws, an old rope, the same clothes I'd been wearing all week.

Approach Notes: Take KLM to Amsterdam. Be sure to have a long enough layover to enjoy Amsterdam. Hang out in France long enough to gain 3 kilos and then head to Spain.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vw4ever: by staying buzzed--one way or another

TheOtter: the only beach I hit was the Med--and it was windy and shitty that day

CBS: it was conglomerate, and I do have an outstanding shot of me hamming it up on a via ferrata

oly: For you, anything

ZZ: anytime.

G-Spot: I hadn't thought about that--thanks for deepening my depression

Camilo: Montserrat is in the Carribean; Monteserat is in Spain

Glad you guys liked my first attempt at a TR. It is a lot of work for a crappy write up. I'll try better on the next one!