Crag behind Spokane Valley YMCA

That kite flyns for fags, swear to god it is. It reminds me of my friend Scotty Richards. That guy was freakn crazy man. He used to dress up like a clown an stuff with makeup and everthing. Then he d go to the local parks and tie up up those ballon animals and stuff and pass them out to little kids and their moms. Hed like twist up a fish or a dog, or something for the kid, then he’d be like, “hey mama, want a life size replica of my pork sword?”. One of the mom’s got mad and filed lewd conduct charges or something. He didn’t’ have a lot of money cause he spent it that summer on a nitrous kit for his jet boat so he had to get one of them public defenders, and Those guys don’t know nothin. In fact, the morning Scotty went to trial, I told that public pretender to his face that the constitution guarantees balloon animal twistins’ under the freedom of speech act. Apparantly the jury didn’t know it either cause Scotty’s on floor 5 of the Spokane county jail right now. If you read this Scotty, I told you you’d be better off representing yourself. I got to go.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beta warning.

This is the same place as the "Zoo" or "Dinosaur Canyon"...I suggest we call it "Mirabeau" since it is the name of the park it is in and because it sounds cool.

Here is the main wall. As mentioned, it's about 40-50'. the routes seemed to start around 5.10a and go up. I only did 3 routes on it, but they were about .10a (far right), .10c (middle black streak in photo), .10d/.11a up the golden streak (left of the black streak). It gets sun in the afternoon as it faces SW, but in the late afternoon it was getting shady again. Note the girlfriend at the bottom of the pic for scale.

dc1.jpg

the central boulder/outcrop has 2 routes on it. the arete on the left goes at 5.7 (right side) or 5.9 (on arete/left side). the slab on the right goes at about 5.9.

dc2.jpg

All told, I counted 11 bolted sport routes, 1 non-bolted TR route, and 1 mixed route...(7 on the main wall, bigbro's roof project (in background of above photo), 1 left of the roof (an inside corner), 2 on the central boulder, and 2 on the southwestern boulder). My guess is that most are in the 9+/.10/11 range. The routes are closely spaced, but do offer a way to get a good workout in without a lot of messing around. The rock is good, much more like Post Falls than Minnehaha, and has pretty good friction. The setting and approach are pretty good too (park at Mirabeau Park). We didn't see another climber all day which is unusual when cragging in Spokane on a nice spring day!

Good work kurthicks, thanks for doing all the work so we can play.

+1

"Mirabeau" used to be a TR'ing and bouldering area just a very few locals climbed on when it was surrounded by the Walk in the Wild zoo, now defunct. Good to see all the work out there documented; now we need route names and FA info to make it more complete. Mirabeau is what I've heard it called since both kinds of development (real estate + lead routes). Way to go, Kurt.

No way, I used to bolder just south (west?) of there on the hillside with the water tower. Some really good power problems up to V6 with slopey slick (spraypaint) holds out some overhangs, usually had to clean the broken glass off the tops every time, even when I went a couple days a week.

Popular drinking and smashing spot I guess.

Some really good power problems up to V6 with slopey slick (spraypaint) holds out some overhangs, usually had to clean the broken glass off the tops every time, even when I went a couple days a week.

Popular drinking and smashing spot I guess.

Spokane: Near Nature, Near Perfect.

[insert my people-trashing-minne-more-than-usual rant here]

I've cleaned a lot of trash from the cracks this year but it just keeps coming back! Thanks for grabbing that can for me Steve. Wish I had some better organizational skills cause the state of my favorite crag is down right depressing this year.