Bike Commuting

DirtyHarry

I like using a bike bag for commuting better than using a backpack because heat-retention wise, it's much more comfortable to have a thin strap covering your back than a pack. Just much easier to regulate body-temps. Then there's also the helmet-thing. Most backpacks seem to ride high enough that they interfere with head-movement when you've got a helmet on.

Plus they're stylin' rolleyes.gif

Yup.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For carrying stuff over a bicycle commute (15 miles) I use a med-large (2500+ cu. in.) rucksack with straps long enough to allow it to hang low when riding, so that even when I’m on the hoods or in the drops it carries well back where it is out of the way but secure.

I go with the rucksack instead of a messenger bag because I'm not a messenger; that is, I don’t constantly require access to the pack while in transit. Over the course of a commute, the pack pretty much just stays put and seems to do so better with two shoulder straps instead of one.

Regarding use of panniers or other bike-mounted luggage vs. shoulder-carried bags, I favor a backpack because it allows me to hop on and off the bike and go with minimal delay—there is no time consumed by the process of fastening or un-fastening luggage on the bike and no second thoughts about leaving anything on the bike. I just deal with the lock and be on my way.

Also, by carrying take-alongs in a rucksack rather than in bike luggage, the payload is kept off the bike and the bike stays lighter and more responsive—it's easier to heft that weight around when its hoisted over my shoulders than when its on the bike—if I want to jump a curb or pothole, the bike sails.

In regard to the sweat issue, I wear an absorbent shirt and change out after a brief cool-down when I've reached my destination. Can’t speak from experience about cycle jerseys; cotton polo does it for me. Deodorant if you please. Add a sweater in Winter, or whatever. Does the trick.

• 1 month later...

After some deliberation, I decided to try the whole pannier thing. I like the roominess and fact I can load them up with more crap.

I am still adjusting to the side wind effect.

I think for many cases, I favor the pack, but I like the added room and convenience of panniers.

-r

If I was commuting on something like the Burke-Gilman and had a secure bike locker, the panniers would be okay, but I have to do a fair amount of curb-hopping, car dodging, etc - and the pack seems to work better for that. Plus there's the fact that at some point there's a pretty high probability that they'd get stolen. Plus I crashed 6-7 times over the course of the winter, and that was with studded tires, and I can't imagine panniers would make it any easier to stay upright, unless they were loaded with equal volumes of sand or something to serve as balast.

Messenger bags never did it for me for commuting. They are designed for people who get off and on their bikes often and fast, and need quick access to their stuff.

When I see commuters using messenger bags, I watch them make constant adjustments as they want to swing forward.

I know there are design improvements for messgenger bags, but a backpack or panniers are made to stay put. I kinda like that. And these panniers I used lock on and come off easily.

For Dru...Speaking of Touring...

mhorwood081.sized.jpg