Bike Commuting

DirtyHarry

Anybody have beta on good waterproof messenger bags/packs? Especially that you would trust a laptop in?

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=0&skusetId=86

I've had a Timbuk2 bag for about a year that I've done the bike-commute thing with. Been through blizzards, NorEasters, etc and haven't ever had a drop get through.

For larger volumes those Ortleib backpacks look like the ticket.

http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=velocity

I also know of people that bring in new sets of workclothes via car/bus/whatever on Mondays and then ride the other four days.

Ahh, that's keen beta; thanks. Backpack dealie might do the trick, too.

Is this what they mean by "bipartisanship?" yellaf.gif

Or would that be "bike-partisanship?" tongue.gif

I have the bike messenger pro model in the medium size and it's big enough for lunch/files/clothes but that's about it. It looks like they make an XXL in this model that's 3300 cubic inches, so that should be big enough for pretty much anything you'd want to lug into work.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?sizeId=8&skusetId=79&categoryId=40

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're on the subject of bike commuting, I can't say that it's saved me all that much money over the years. It has some other benefits, but in the past year alone I think I've spent at least $500 or so on tires (includes studded snow tires for the winter), tubes, brake pads, cables, shifters, led-lights, a new helmet, etc - not to mention all of the extra money I've spent on fuel, e.g. food.

True dat. And thats not even mentioning the cash I had to shell out for the pink basket on the front and multi-color handlebar streamers.

The ortleibs are actually waterproof. They carry really well for most loads too, mostly because messenger bags --please trust me on this one, i know WAY too much about this-- were designed for irregular odd sized packages, and adapted to normal sizes by the users, not because of some benefit to most riders. You can always add to the ort's padding with a piece of eva or two...

of course, i do know somebody who makes padded shoulderbags, but they aren't waterproof. bigdrink.gif

Wow, you guys sure are paranoid about your laptops. I spilled a full cup of tea directly on mine once and it was fine except that the "H" key was a little sticky.

Baring complete submersion, I think a regular backpack should be fine. confused.gif

But whatever, if you wanna be a bike-wank, go for it. rolleyes.gif

Wow, you guys sure are paranoid about your laptops. I spilled a full cup of tea directly on mine once and it was fine except that the "H" key was a little sticky.

I had an altercation with a PDX maxine track; bent the pannier rack, the bike frame, and thrashed the pannier. Stuff regularly got coated in grime. I preferred panniers because they allowed me to be resplandent in neon yellow for better visibilty to the SUV soccermom cellphone hordes.

The biggest benefit to bike commuting, for me, was squeezing in an extra 45-60 minutes of exercise a day. Money wise it was a small savings.

What he said. I have not counted the $$ I saved, and in fact, I suspect I could come out cheaper if I took the bus every day. I get 2 hours a day doing something I love.

I've yet to be as successful with intertwining alpine endeavors and work.

-r

I gave biking to work a serious go last Fall but the truth is just enough people driving on the roads are just plain fucking morons. By my 3rd close call of nearly getting hit, I shelved the bike and went back to driving my gas guzzling jeep. Fuck that shit.

I want to be surrounded by lots of metal and not be turned into some bib wearing retard in a wheelchair by some oblivious dipshit.

Sadly, what's missing from current growth planning and social reality are communities where people can live and work within walking distance. It seems like an awfulotta people want to live in Issaquah and work in Fife or something like that.

After about seven hundred thousand miles of driving, plus occupational miles, all I can think of is how cool it would be to only drive once in a great while.

I can't really talk; my commute: Index to Stevens Pass, is anything but short. I'd love to bike it; doing 31 miles and 3500' climb each day before work would have me in first class shape in no time, but I'd have to leave about 3 AM and wouldn't get home til 7 or so. Still, I'd like to do it once, in the next couple of months of long days, just to prove some obscure point to myself.

RCW 46.61.261

Sidewalks, crosswalks — Pedestrians, bicycles.

The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian or bicycle on a sidewalk. The rider of a bicycle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian on a sidewalk or crosswalk.

--I don't beleive it's illegal, just have to yield to Pedxings.

I commuted in Washington D.C., NYC, and in Seattle and found Seattle the most bicycle-friendly by far. Most folks are used to the bicycle traffic and are courteous about it. And then there are the usual jerks. You gotta be careful, sometimes folks don't see a car coming never-the-less a speck of a bicycle. Better to be cautious and alive than in the right and crunched.

As far as gear I prefer a small summit pack for my clothes; I'm lucky enouth to have a shower and locker room at work. When I worked as a messenger I liked the shoulder bag thing because you could slide it around quick to pull out your delivery and get a signature. We used to snicker at the commuters decked out in cafe jerseys, overboots, colored glasses, and the obligatory messenger bag. Now for commuting I don't need access to my stuff every five minutes and found the need to constantly shove the shoulder bag back onto my back with my elbow annoying. And I was always worried about the panniers thing if squeezing through stopped traffic. But some friends of mine swear by them.

I find it a great way to squeeze in exercise on busy day and take long rides in the good weather and the shortest commute when it rains. Today looks like the 30 mile loop from downtown, around Magnolia, thru Discovery Park and the locks, BG, Fremont, U District, and up to the north end.

Is it legal to bike on the sidewalks in Seattle?

It's not. I'm not going to track down the RCW or the WAC but legally speaking bikes must follow all the same rules as cars, as far as methods of travel, signalling turns, stopping at traffic control devices, etc.

when I was a bike messenger, I had a cop stop me for biking on the sidewalk downtown. I told him that was bullshit because I see cops riding on the sidewalk all the time. tongue.gif

RCW 46.61.261

Sidewalks, crosswalks — Pedestrians, bicycles.

The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian or bicycle on a sidewalk. The rider of a bicycle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian on a sidewalk or crosswalk.

--I don't beleive it's illegal, just have to yield to Pedxings.

I commuted in Washington D.C., NYC, and in Seattle and found Seattle the most bicycle-friendly by far. Most folks are used to the bicycle traffic and are courteous about it. And then there are the usual jerks. You gotta be careful, sometimes folks don't see a car coming never-the-less a speck of a bicycle. Better to be cautious and alive than in the right and crunched.

As far as gear I prefer a small summit pack for my clothes; I'm lucky enouth to have a shower and locker room at work. When I worked as a messenger I liked the shoulder bag thing because you could slide it around quick to pull out your delivery and get a signature. We used to snicker at the commuters decked out in cafe jerseys, overboots, colored glasses, and the obligatory messenger bag. Now for commuting I don't need access to my stuff every five minutes and found the need to constantly shove the shoulder bag back onto my back with my elbow annoying. And I was always worried about the panniers thing if squeezing through stopped traffic. But some friends of mine swear by them.

I find it a great way to squeeze in exercise on busy day and take long rides in the good weather and the shortest commute when it rains. Today looks like the 30 mile loop from downtown, around Magnolia, thru Discovery Park and the locks, BG, Fremont, U District, and up to the north end.

Thank you!

What is a panniers?

I like using a bike bag for commuting better than using a backpack because heat-retention wise, it's much more comfortable to have a thin strap covering your back than a pack. Just much easier to regulate body-temps. Then there's also the helmet-thing. Most backpacks seem to ride high enough that they interfere with head-movement when you've got a helmet on.

I like using a bike bag for commuting better than using a backpack because heat-retention wise, it's much more comfortable to have a thin strap covering your back than a pack. Just much easier to regulate body-temps. Then there's also the helmet-thing. Most backpacks seem to ride high enough that they interfere with head-movement when you've got a helmet on.

Plus they're stylin' rolleyes.gif