Snow Types

telemarker

SP,

I didn't realize there was a type of snow for boarding and a type for skiing?! BC skiers aren't skiing on toothpicks with fishscales anymore. We're actually on dimensions that handle the same kind of snow boarders rail on. Just thought your question was a little archaic given the similarities in board design these past few seasons. No disrespect meant.

J.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Telemarker,I'm a tele skier and I ski on fairly new age boards, K2 Piste Stinx, and I love them (I also still love my Tua Montes but they are definitely light weight compared to the K2s). I am not a purist though. I love telekiing more than anything but I'm not going to limit myself to how I enjoy getting down the mountain. I would still maintain that there is definitely snow that is far easier and more fun to ride on a snowboard. April slop comes to mind. You know the days when you just can't get out of bed at 4 AM and you wind up skiing down a south face at 2:30 in the afternoon sunshine.

You may be a far better tele skier than and I and therefore the differences in snow may not affect you but I'd rather tele in powder and snowboard in the thick heavier snow. I also doubt I'm alone on that one. Why do you think snow boarding is so popular in the NW Backcountry?

Just curious if you have tried much snowboarding. I am an occasional knuckledragger due mainly to the reasons I mention above. I've found that I enjoy riding in lots of conditions and while I prefer teleskiing I would rather not be on the teleskis in Cascade Concrete.

Either way, it's really all about enjoying the ride down and my knees don't like hiking down nearly as much as skiing or riding. grin.gif" border="0

SP,

I don't consider myself any special kind of skier. I've been skiing on the Mtn. Surfs the past two seasons, the dimensions of which the other tele ski manufacturers are just starting to offer-110-88-105. I agree with you that my enjoyment of the Cascade crud increases with the surfs, as do the bc snowboarders. How many times have you been out in the bc on a cold, 25F morning, a foot or so of new, only for the temp. to surge to 37F by noon? I've never been snowboarding, since I'm still enjoying tele skiing too much to take the time. Besides, a friend of mine was berated by two tele-skiing senior citizens for following me up Jim Hill last year with snowshoes and a board on his back. I guess I love the mystique of tele skiing still to take the time to snowboard, even though so much is hype and hubris these days. See you in the BC east of the crest some day!

j.