Best way to become a badass

frontrangeclimber

Hey there people

Dorky question Im sure - feel free to berate me all you like - but Im curious what the best ways are to become a damn good mountaineer/rock climber? I finished the Mountaineers basic climbing course last year (b/c it was the only thing I could afford at the time) and now am trying to look for more/better ways to progress. Im sure the quick answer is climb as much as possible which I am trying to do, but Im thinking maybe more formal training, etc. Anyone want to add me to their badass climbing posse? I'll be the funny guy who drinks alot.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'll be the funny guy who drinks alot.

That's all that's required brother!! bigdrink.gif

But more to the point. Yes, climb as much as possible. But each time you climb, try and do something different; hopefully slightly more difficult. And as you put it, climb with others. Make sure you have a good comfort level that they are safe, and choose a route that will push your personal envelope a little more. Just make sure THEY are completely aware of YOUR skill level. There is nothing worse than someone bragging about their abilities and then learning that it's all hot air when it really matters.

Of all that, just keep pushing it. But safely. thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

rock climb as much as possible. rock climbing (sport and trad) is the base for all aspects of climbing.

Some bad asses I know have a "eat, sleep and shit climbing" attitude. Every aspect of the day focuses on climbing. other BA's don't. the common element is positive and exploratory attitude. I would suggest that you fucus on the fun of climbing and the bad ass will follow. focus on the process and not the goal.

read book called rock warrior!

rock climb as much as possible. rock climbing (sport and trad) is the base for all aspects of climbing.

the common element is positive and exploratory attitude. I would suggest that you fucus on the fun of climbing and the bad ass will follow.

Agreed! Enjoy yourself.

The time-proven way to become a bad-ass is to loose your job, break up with your girlfriend, begin a downward spiral of self-loathing, frustration, desperation, and imposed sexual abstinence and then attempt to redeem yourself and find meaning in your life by literally climbing your way out. Rinse, Repeat.

Alpinist Vol. 15.

"The guy who had just broken up with his girlfriend always got the hard leads".

Find an area that you can fix a line on routes from above without having to climb the route (i.e. be able to walk to the top). Rap in and solo aid (belaying w/ a gri gri or something) until you can ID a gear placement first time every time. Once you start getting good at it start doing it at night. Goal is to be gear placement master.

Learn to trust your gear and that falling is okay. Fall until you aren't scared of falling anymore. Skip bolts and whip... place marginal gear and then bomber shit below that and see if the marginal gear will actually hold. This will take some awareness and even better a watchful eye but if you can learn to whip it will only help you.

Master your snow footwork. This will be difficult as you can't get on snow everyday (or can you?) but you need to increase your comfort level for steep snow to the point that you can solo anything up to 70ish degrees or WI2/3. It won't happen overnight but it will speed you up. Also learn the different types of snow/ice and how to climb each of them. Think of each of them as a different type of rock climbing: crack, slab, face, etc

Climb as much as possible as Gene said. Climb climb climb. You should be climbing a few times a week year round. Rock when it is dry... drytool/aid when it is wet. If you don't practice in the rain/wet at the crags what are you going to do in the mountains?

Cardio cardio cardio like E said. Run for time not distance. Run till you bonk and then turn around.

Find partners more motivated than you. Try to climb with them as much as possible.

SORRY BROTHER....YOU'RE EITHER BORN A BADASS OR YOU ARE NOT ONE. NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT....BUT YOU CAN BE A BETTER CLIMBER IF YOU DO WHAT THESE FOLKS SAY. BUT DON'T EXPECT TO BEAT MICHEAL JORDON AT A GAME OF BASKETBALL. GOOD LUCK!

SORRY BROTHER....YOU'RE EITHER BORN A BADASS OR YOU ARE NOT ONE. NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT....BUT YOU CAN BE A BETTER CLIMBER IF YOU DO WHAT THESE FOLKS SAY. BUT DON'T EXPECT TO BEAT MICHEAL JORDON AT A GAME OF BASKETBALL. GOOD LUCK!

Nope, I've known some badasses and they ALL worked pretty hard at it. (If doing something you just love could be considered work). They did it a lot too.

However, you shouldn't assume that just because the only action you get is from Rosie Palm, that suddenly you are an alpine badass. Although the extra grip strength you will get from tightly squeezing something small may help on crimpers, it's only in one arm, and alpine climbing requires full body strength.

realize how much of climbing is mental. Shit that scares you and me generally doesn't bother your geninue badass.

Work on getting your rock skills up and spend time working on your weakness you know those things the rest of us don't do like offwidths, runout friction slabs, chimneys, etc.

and yeah if you never have a girl friend you don't have anyone to distract you from climbing.

The time-proven way to become a bad-ass is to loose your job, break up with your girlfriend, begin a downward spiral of self-loathing, frustration, desperation, and imposed sexual abstinence and then attempt to redeem yourself and find meaning in your life by literally climbing your way out. Rinse, Repeat.

thumbs_up.gif

...move to Minnesota.

Minnesotans shovel 18" of snow off strangers' sidewalks wearing flannel shirts and gloves in -20 weather. For fun.

Open-water snowmobiling? Minnesotans are just a different breed of badass.