What's the most stupid thing you ever did?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glissaded into a moat formed by a waterfall while descending Ass-gard Pass, hit my head on the way in, fell about 20 feet into the moat, wedged between rock and ice, with snowmelt waterfall pouring in on my head . . . . hypothermic, dazed, had to tunnel out through snow since I couldn't climb back up the way I came in . . . close call! Lucky goat!

Super Dumb.

I did almost the exact same thing in the exact same place. Although I didn't fall in nearly as far as you did, nor did I get as wet.

Sorry you fell in, but good to hear I'm not the only one who got fooled by this hidden hazard -- I know that several people have been seriously injured or killed while descending or glissading Aasgard Pass -- a cautionary word to the wise, in hopes you'll learn from my misfortunes....

Crazy. About 6 years ago or so, I almost glissaded into the waterfall crack coming down from Aasgard as well. I reacted just quickly enough to launch myself to the side and avoid the crack. Scared the shit out of me though. Who knew others have fallen in and you say even killed? Damn.

Another stupid thing - The first time I climbed Rainier I didn't know much about cold weather camping and climbing at all. I didn't bring enough clothes and was wearing cotton underwear. The underwear was so soaked with sweat it chilled my core during the entire climb and I developed mild hypothermia upon reaching the crater rim. The sun came out and a buddy lent me his down jacket, but I was shivering uncontrollably. I learned my lesson - cotton kills! (even if it's just your undies)

1) Climbing without a partner on Mt. Hood a few years ago on the South Side (soloing doesn't sound right when there are hundreds of other people around you) and got sick of waiting in the bootpack line below the schrund. I motored my way to the front and started my way up a route between the end of the crack and the line of people stomping up the track - as soon as I got parallel with the crack I fell through and caught myself with my arms. Looking to the left, the 20 or so people that were over on the boot track had stopped and were staring in complete amazement at me. I very gingerly beached whaled myself out and tried to play it off, but was secretly crapping my pants.

2) I unclipped from the anchors and was just about to lean back on my rappel device at the top of Monkey Face when I noticed my harness wasn't double backed. Doh!

Was learning to lead trad on a multi-pitch route, and didn't set up anchors correctly. I was belaying off myself (not the anchor), and had a ton of slack between myself and the anchor. The follower pulled out the last piece of pro and then fell. Since I had all this slack behind me, I went rolling down the rock until all the slack was out between myself and anchor. Luckily, follower was fine, but felt like absolute moron!!

Looked right up at a beautiful ice shelf, sunk my ax in, then watched as a huge platter fell in slow motion--direct hit onto my right boob. Agony.
An unfortunate event, but was it a stupid mistake? I think not. Sounds like one of those things that happens in ice climbing.

Not something I did, but the most stupid thing I ever saw someone do is try to cross the Tieton River when the bridge was washed out a few years back. I actually videotaped my friend grappel hooking a tree on the opposite bank and then proceeding to cross with his pack on full of climbing gear. We were climbing up on the columns watching. while he got washed onto a snag out in the middle of the river. Took him a while to get back to the shore he came from and after getting throughly soaked he drove up to the suspension bridge and did the hike down to the climbs. Dumb!! hellno3d.gif

Looked right up at a beautiful ice shelf, sunk my ax in, then watched as a huge platter fell in slow motion--direct hit onto my right boob. Agony.
An unfortunate event, but was it a stupid mistake? I think not. Sounds like one of those things that happens in ice climbing.

Generally I try not to have my face looking upward when I swing my ax. Maybe that's just me--but it seemed pretty stupid. Of course, I failed chemistry in college and that was pretty stupid too.