Gary_Yngve

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's question the assumption inherent in the post:

Why is geography an important skill to have?

it's easier to care less about people and countries that you know nothing about

So what you are saying is that the geographically literate care more about people and countries? And when you say "care", do you mean care about their well-being?

How does using a cell phone or watching music videos lower your ability to point out a country on a map? Come on, it really doesn't take that much time to learn where a friggen country is. I would tend to agree with something like, "Americans are self-centered and don't care about the rest of the world" more than "pop culture".

Makes me want to ask what happened to kids' ability to use logic and debate.

They're spending their time rotting their brains when they could be discussing world news with their parents, doing their HW, etc. And attention spans have gone to hell in the past ten years.

Careful, you are starting to sound old.

How does using a cell phone or watching music videos lower your ability to point out a country on a map? Come on, it really doesn't take that much time to learn where a friggen country is. I would tend to agree with something like, "Americans are self-centered and don't care about the rest of the world" more than "pop culture".

They're spending their time rotting their brains when they could be discussing world news with their parents, doing their HW, etc. And attention spans have gone to hell in the past ten years.

Having just finished grading midterms, they could also use a little work on their arithmetic and algebra, too. yoda.gif

Having just finished grading midterms, they could also use a little work on their arithmetic and algebra, too. yoda.gif

...blaming the victim wazzup.gif

So what you are saying is that the geographically literate care more about people and countries? And when you say "care", do you mean care about their well-being?

I mean it's easier to kill them, ignore suffering and injustices in their countries, and be just indifferent to it all, if you know nothing about them. It's also easy to oversimplify relations with those countries and solutions to their problems.

I mean it's easier to kill them, ignore suffering and injustices in their countries, and be just indifferent to it all, if you know nothing about them. It's also easy to oversimplify relations with those countries and solutions to their problems.

Heh.

So what you are saying is that if the American public had known where Iraq was on the map, they couldn't have been duped into this nettlesome war that fits your above scenario to a t?

So what you are saying is that if the American public had known where Iraq was on the map, they couldn't have been duped into this nettlesome war that fits your above scenario to a t?

nice troll

there are people on both sides of the Iraq debate who are clueless with their oversimplified positions based on ignorance.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

Hey yeah, it's truly something that presses on my mind, but I guess that's what I get for being geographically literate!

But seriously, you made an assertion that I was curious about.

Remember people talking about Clinton Fatigue? Well, I've already got Bush Fatigue and Iraq Fatigue. Guess that's another thread though.

... And attention spans have gone to hell in the past ten years.

Have attention spans gone to hell, or have we just learned to focus on attention spans as being a problem?

I think it's the latter. It's like everyone now saying, Oh, I have a little ADD.

Bullshit.

... And attention spans have gone to hell in the past ten years.

Have attention spans gone to hell, or have we just learned to focus on attention spans as being a problem?

I think it's the latter. It's like everyone now saying, Oh, I have a little ADD.

Bullshit.

You are born with a seven second attention span, just enough time to focus on something and decide whether or not something benefits you or not. An example of this is music videos. They are designed with no video segment longer than that so that at least every seven seconds your brain is subjected to another video sequence which you automatically watch. If the segment was to run for much longer you would realize that it is not interesting and would look away, but the advertizers want you to keep looking so they flash on another segment which you watch.

But of course you already knew this but forgot seven seconds ago. hahaha.gif