geographic illiteracy

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seventeen year old Peter Symonds College student Rachael Sprot came runner up in her age category in the Young Geographer of the Year 2004 competition run by the Royal Geographical Society. Her essay on the marine environment was selected from the two thousand entries in the Senior Geographer age category (16-18years). She attended the Presentation Award Ceremony at the Royal Geographical Society in London, where she received a pair of Silva binoculars.

[sarcasm]

I am climbing the corpoate ladder. That would be dork climbing.

Let me run that one up the flagpole and see what responses I get. I'll build a response matrix and reach out to you with the results.

[/sarcasm]

-r

Friggin meeting hell day.

Folks have been aware of the geographic illiteracy for at least fifteen years and have worked hard to fight it (especially the NGS), but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better (and may actually be worse).

Any ideas why, aside from the ubiquity of cell phones, MTV, and pop culture?

The internet? IM, WebCams, EMail etc. Geography is irrelevant when you don't give a shit where the other person you are "conversing" with is, because they are all "just behind the screen".

-r

Folks have been aware of the geographic illiteracy for at least fifteen years and have worked hard to fight it (especially the NGS), but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better (and may actually be worse).

How does using a cell phone or watching music videos lower your ability to point out a country on a map? Come on, it really doesn't take that much time to learn where a friggen country is. I would tend to agree with something like, "Americans are self-centered and don't care about the rest of the world" more than "pop culture".

Makes me want to ask what happened to kids' ability to use logic and debate.

How does using a cell phone or watching music videos lower your ability to point out a country on a map? Come on, it really doesn't take that much time to learn where a friggen country is. I would tend to agree with something like, "Americans are self-centered and don't care about the rest of the world" more than "pop culture".

Makes me want to ask what happened to kids' ability to use logic and debate.

They're spending their time rotting their brains when they could be discussing world news with their parents, doing their HW, etc. And attention spans have gone to hell in the past ten years.