Old version of Mtn. Hardware Trango tent

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I bought a Trango 3.1 tent mid April this year, last year's model so I saved $50... first time out camping on Hood S face 8500' saw 50+ mph winds all night. So damn loud we couldnt sleep. Hell of a time getting all the guy lines set in that wind. Around 6am a strong gust broke 2 poles so we packed up and walked/fell back down. They (MH) replaced the poles and ripped fly on warranty but it took 3 weeks. Next time will be smarter about where I pitch it (not close to a ridge).

Im buying the damn tent but just wanted some trusted discussion board words of wisdom to assuage any fears I had.

That's some good tongue-in-cheek humor there.

Anyway, about your tent. I have one, bought it after being indoctrinated into the school of thought that maintains

- all your gear should be tough and durable

- you are more of a man for carrying such gear

- waiting out a storm in a big tent is high alpine drama.

After owning said tent for many years and using it once on Rainier, it now lies dormant in my gear closet. Once I bought a 4.5 pound single wall tent I lost all desire to use my Trango. Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll sell it.

If you can carry the Trango, or afford to pay someone else to carry it, the tent is great. Roomy, strong, and it has a window. This sounds like a cool feature, but picture this scenario:

Climber 1: hey dude, is it still raining?

Climber 2: I don't know, dude. Look out the window.

Peanut gallery: hey dumbasses, if you're in a tent you don't need to look out the window to know if it's still raining.

If I want a tent that has at least the space and strength the Trango, I think I will upgrade to a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. For 6 pounds I can have a 3-person tent with a vestibule that has its own zip code and still save 4 pounds over my Trango. But for $230 you have a sturdy, big, durable, green tent. I think you paid a little more than what it was worth in my opinion, but if the thing has never been used then at least you know there are no lurking problems. You might find yourself relegating it to car camping after a couple fatiguing trips and start saving for a Hilleberg or single wall, but maybe you'll take it to Denali and it will totally kick ass. Be sure to seal the seams.