[TR] Mt Rainier- Liberty Ridge 4/28/2006

skykilo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty herculean. Seems Sky is interested in making sure he gets the accolades on Cascade Climber.com. Not sure I would feel real good about my partner Jones'in about the summit when I was bonkin. If I was developing pulmonary edema while my good buddy was summiting taking his own pictures, I hope he had a plan to get my body down the hill.

Signed,

not to impressed

Seems pretty herculean. Seems Sky is interested in making sure he gets the accolades on Cascade Climber.com. Not sure I would feel real good about my partner Jones'in about the summit when I was bonkin. If I was developing pulmonary edema while my good buddy was summiting taking his own pictures, I hope he had a plan to get my body down the hill.

Signed,

not to impressed

Man, you're an idiot. You can't say "signed" while posting anonymously. rolleyes.gif I mean, does this really have anything to do with you? Forgive me if it does, bu who f' are you?

Furthermore, that issue has already been raised. Welcome to a style of climbing that goes beyond Freedom of the Hills. If you don't like it, join the Mounties.

Not to mention that people get tagged and bagged by guides on dog routes all the damn time...

Signed,

not to impressed

Perhaps this is a self inflicted troll to create a little controversial spin on the descent??? shocked.gifcool.gif

Didn't these skiers know that Liberty R is one of the hardest routes in North America? How dare they ski it. grin.gif

Please, where are the third party skiers... cheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gifhahaha.gifGeek_em8.gif

OMG

Signed,

not to impressed

PAR1,

There have obviously been some interesting points made here. However, being the one of the party on this trip i feel like I should make a few comments about your comment in particular.

While I was feeling the effects of the altitude and the large day at hand, I was nowhere near passing out or frothing at the mouth like some have suggested. I was tired and made the conscious decision to rest and prepare for big descent at hand after our first attempt to mount the liberty cap. Skykilo asked me how i was doing and if I would be ok with him running up to the summit. I did not see a problem with this so I promptly replied that I was fine. We both made this decision together and we were perfectly fine with it.

After this trip and giving it some thought, I am perfectly comfortable with how this trip went and the decisions we made.

And no this trip does not seem herculean in retrospect. Sure it was big. However, given that we were traveling fast and light on the route more than compensates safety-wise for carrying a shit-ton of weight as is needed for a five day attempt.

Great climb and ski! Sub 24 hours is totally respectable.

I really wish we could have cut a few days out of our summit a month ago. The snow conditions would have been perfect then, with out the icy section. I kept thinking- if I only had my snowboard and the balls/skill to ride down...

"I must have been a bit hypoxic, because at the last minute I stupidly changed my mind and decided to follow what looked like some steps leading left. Casey asked from below, "Does it go?"" Yes, it goes, but in two shorish pitches at about WI 3ish with some short 80-90 degree steps. I can't think of trying to do that section with skiis strapped to the pack.

Again, great job!

• 3 weeks later...

I used your report as beta on our liberty climb last week. I made a posting. I called our climb experience mason project after my friend andy mason. small world... your dad is doing work on my portland townhouse as i write this.