[TR] Mt. Hood- Sandy Headwall 4/30/2006

flatnose

Climb: Mt. Hood-Sandy Headwall

Date of Climb: 4/30/2006

Trip Report:

My friend Chris and I climbed Sandy this morning. I'll try to keep it short and sweet. Left T-line @ 2:30 made it to the saddle by about 5:30. Strong wind all the way up Palmer made for a not so enjoyable slog. Thankfully the wind died as soon as we dropped onto the Reid. The traverse across Yocum is in great shape right now with a very large snow bridge spanning the schrund onto the Sandy; pretty straightforward. Good hard neve all the way up the headwall. Summitted at about 11 am. Descended the hogsback, etc., etc. Long day but loads of fun!

Gear Notes:

ice ax, 2nd tool, rope pickets (never used em), various miscellani

Approach Notes:

Reid/Sandy glaciers are still very filled in.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We saw you guys at the Palmer - your speed was impressive. By the time we got to the saddle - you were already on Yocum. We did Leuthod. I think the wind really helped consolidate the snow - not too much ice/snow rained on us. We were a bit surpised by the avalanche depris we crossed off of Reid headwall. guess it's been warmer than suspected up there. We roped up over the Reid and thru the shute. Proably didn't need it in the shute - more a mental aid. (didn't set pro or use the second tool but brought it all). We made it to the top of Queens by sunrise - nice to have the wind die down. Thanks for the bucket steps over the ridge!! - Maybe next time we can follow then all the way up the headwall. Okay wishful thinking. - nice TR