Crevasses open on Muir Snow field!

MJHBackpacker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just up there on monday and there are quite a few opening up on the field. With so many day hikers going up there, it's only a matter of time before one of them goes into one. Most people don't know what they're getting into. I had to jump one that was at least 3 feet wide. There are wands placed strategically near the best places to cross, but there is still potential to fall in.

This may sound obvious but this is a CLIMBING website not a HIKING website. I assume most CLIMBERS won't think too hard about the conditions on the Muir Snowfield.

Let me tell you about the North Ridge of Baker currently....now that's an issue right now you should be concerned with....

Let's all bring about 50 wands up to Muir and get that thing back in order!

Your absolutely correct Chongo . Keep your eyes open and everyone should be fine.No way I'm gonna rope up on the Muir Snowfield.Even though the D.C. is in great shape the real problems with crevasses don't start until the traverse from the Flats to the bottom of the Cleaver. Even then I only saw one that we crossed that made me a little nervous.After the moat on the bottom of the cleaver things are pretty uneventful. at least thats the way it was a couple of weeks ago. I am going again Mon/Tue let you know what it is like then..

The purpose of my original reply was sarcastic. My apologies to MJH for getting flamed, keep in mind though his screen name: "Backpacker". Just as an fyi to him - an ice axe does not prevent you from falling into a crevasse - only a rope could do that. It's always a wise idea to take an axe with you while climbing Rainier, but again this is generally for self-arrest. Last time I was on the Muir snowfield I couldn't even glissade it, much less use an axe to self-arrest. Your best bet is to not be a gaper and avoid getting near it.