Carpooling to the Crags....

dberdinka

I drove to Squamish Monday morning. It’s about 95 miles one-way. At 20 mpg and $3.10 per gallon we spent about $30 for a day of cragging. Of course the minute we got there two other guys from from B’ham are spilling out of the car that just pulled in next to us. Stupid!

I’ve had a thought (really I did!) but I’m not much for actually doing things. This place seems loaded down with techno-climbing geeks maybe one of you should run with this…..

****A carpooling website specifically for climbers.**** : 0

For the general public this would never get off the ground but climbers exhibit some startling common characteristics that might make something like this work;

We like to drive long distances for recreation.

We like to drive to the same 4 or 5 places.

We like to drive to these places on very similar schedules.

We like to spray about climbing to every stranger we meet.

Of course we tend to do this in groups of two.

So set up a website where people could find other climbers to carpool with.

Design it around a relational database so that people simply create a profile with their location, their ability to provide transportation and for how many. Then a few days before going cragging you enter the days and locations you want to go climbing. The system finds matches and then sends out e-mails to potential drivers and passengers to coordinate.

Create a standardized rule of payment for all users unless the driver agrees to something else. For example 6 cents a mile per passenger or something.

Include feedback (much like E-bay) so people could identify creeps, pervs, hippies and stinky people.

Get a couple sponsors and a big ‘ole government grant to cover your costs. Or maybe it sounds like a good project for a masters degree?

Silly idea!? What do you think.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing a few months back. I think it is a great idea. I don't think a new website is necessary, it could just use a new forum, or even make use of the partners forum. I think a standard mileage/payment is a good idea to stream line things. Basically people could just post a thread about where they're climbing and how many seats they have, when they are leaving/returning. Given current gas prices it makes a lot of sense.

I really shouldn't do this because it's so fucking trite but I can't resist.

In June of 1970, fresh out of high school, I squeeezed into a Ford Falcon with three others and all our stuff for my first trip to Yosemite. The drive down (from Seattle) cost us 18 dollars and change...my full share was $4.50.

So set up a website where people could find other climbers to carpool with.

Design it around a relational database so that people simply create a profile with their location, their ability to provide transportation and for how many. Then a few days before going cragging you enter the days and locations you want to go climbing. The system finds matches and then sends out e-mails to potential drivers and passengers to coordinate.

Create a standardized rule of payment for all users unless the driver agrees to something else. For example 6 cents a mile per passenger or something.

Include feedback (much like E-bay) so people could identify creeps, pervs, hippies and stinky people.

Get a couple sponsors and a big ‘ole government grant to cover your costs. Or maybe it sounds like a good project for a masters degree?

Silly idea!? What do you think.

Sounds like you'll fit *right* in here: carpooling

And don't forget *these* resources:

web page

web page

web page

Here are some quick calcs on the cost of Mo's trip to Yosemite. My guess is a few years later when I first went to Yosemite the cost of gas was relatively speaking higher than it is now.

CPI - 06/01/1970 38.8

CPI - 03/06/2006 199.8

Distance to Yosemite 943

(from Seattle per mapquest)

Ave MPG 24.5

(my SUV coming back from Columbia gorge monday -average speed over 60mph)

Gallons required 38.4897959

Ave price gas/gallon 2.89

(what I paid yesterday)

Total gas expense 111.2355102

Mister Mo's expense in 1970 18.5

Mo's Inflation adjusted 95.2654639

Increase since '70 15.970046