parents with kids who climb...

RuMR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine like the climbing part fine... it's the hiking part we have trouble with. A few thoughts I came up with on the subject last year:

I've learned that I have to take any time estimate and multiply it by 3 or 4.

I've learned that I have to feed them at very regular intervals or their engines stall. Even when they're not hungry, I have to make them eat something... even if it's just a bite of chocolate.

I've learned to take 3 times as many socks and clothes as I think I will need because if there is a way to get wet, my boys will find it.

I've learned that I have to completely deconstruct expectations and have very different goals. I need to slow down and be there to experience nature from my children's perspective. This is a completely different experience from when I go without them.

I've learned that there are many destinations along a trail and the summit may not be on the list today. The boulder field is a playground. The stream is a waterpark. The snowslope is a toboggan run. We mustn't rush through on our way to somewhere else. We're already somewhere.

I've learned that frequent breaks pay for themselves in happier kids and more time on the trail. They are also great opportunities to reconnect and talk.

I've learned that I can still get away with holding my 9 year old's hand as we hike long after the tricky part he needed help with is over.

I've learned that you have to make kids do things they don't want to do even when it would be easier to just give in because that is what being a parent is all about and it's worth it.

Mine like the climbing part fine... it's the hiking part we have trouble with. A few thoughts I came up with on the subject last year:

I've learned that I have to feed them at very regular intervals or their engines stall. Even when they're not hungry, I have to make them eat something... even if it's just a bite of chocolate.

I've learned to take 3 times as many socks and clothes as I think I will need because if there is a way to get wet, my boys will find it.

I've learned that I have to completely deconstruct expectations and have very different goals. I need to slow down and be there to experience nature from my children's perspective. This is a completely different experience from when I go without them.

I've learned that there are many destinations along a trail and the summit may not be on the list today. The boulder field is a playground. The stream is a waterpark. The snowslope is a toboggan run. We mustn't rush through on our way to somewhere else. We're already somewhere.

I've learned that frequent breaks pay for themselves in happier kids and more time on the trail. They are also great opportunities to reconnect and talk.

I've learned that I can still get away with holding my 9 year old's hand as we hike long after the tricky part he needed help with is over.

I've learned that you have to make kids do things they don't want to do even when it would be easier to just give in because that is what being a parent is all about and it's worth it.

The goal should be that by the end of the day they want to go do it again, no matter the outcome.

I find most of those things to be true, about me, when I am out climbing by myself. especially the hand holding part.

When I was a kid my mom would sometimes arrange hikes where we could get together with another family for a car shuttle or take some form of public transportation so that we could hike a downhill route. She could always keep us moving downhill while hiking uphill might be a different story. I hiked down Mount Washington, in New Hampshire, when I was about six. I didn't manage to climb UP it until I was ten.

totally! I hate buying new gear for them as they grow so fast. Only problem with having a kids forum here is that I'm pretty sure this site wouldn't make it through the net nanny software I have on my kids computer wink.gif

Exactly. How many times does the term 'hardcore' get used around here. Even at work, if I use it in the business sense, our filters here still pick it up. wazzup.gif

I was out to Leavenworth with my twin boys this past weekend and climbed at Playground Point. I found out that they have just about grown out of their full body harnesess so they will be going up for sale as soon as I can find replacements. Any suggestions? These ones I got at MEC and I believe they are a Rock Empire.