Accident at Index

cman

this is the second hand version. saturday afternoon, someone fell while rappin' down rogers corner. they had 1 rope so they were doing 2 raps and on the second rap they fell about 40ft then fell further down the ledges and was taken away by ambulance.

anyone hear more about this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend was on BoC when the accident happened below him. He doesn't know much. He thinks the accident happened from someone on the hafway anchors on Roger's Corner, perhaps wanting to set up a TR for the 10d route to the right.

According to him, response was quick (both on-scene responders and ambulance), and he doesn't think the subject was too badly hurt. (By the time they were able to respond to the scene, it already looked like there were too many responders for any more to have positive contribution.)

was me. right hand in cast so typing is a struggle. rapped off end of rope. rope wasn't even. was real dumb and can't believe it happened as i am usually very deligent. all it takes is one time. keep on it 100 %.

got off lucky. broken right wrist, sore left hand, small crack in lower vertebrae, sore hip started today. lots of stiffness. hope to be mobile soon( when back stiffness lessens) and cast off in four weeks.

sucks cause i had plans that i have to back out of. frown.gif sorry matt!

gene

get better gene - i know a large # of folks on this board have done shit equally stupid (some like me have been so charmed as to walk away from those disasters w/o a scratch!)

try not to pay attention to spring weather for awhile and be sure to bigdrink.gif as much as possible in conjunction w/ the painkillers smile.gif

Ouch.

BTW, I learned (not that painfully) that there is no reason to believe that even if your ropes hit the deck one year on any certain climb, that they will hit it the next.

Ropes can get signifigantly shorter as they age. I had a Maxim shrink approx 20 feet one year as measured by 1 route.

One year a single double rope rap was fine to do to get back on deck, like 2 feet short, next year, same exact rope was 10-12 feet short.

I had started the lead assuring the 2 partners that that very rope reached the deck after one of them, wisely squinting at the distance, questioned if it would. As it was a route I'd FA'ed, they accepted my word on it. Fortunately - it was clearly seen that it was short before we got on it and I was only laughed at:-). DOHHH DOHHHH. Small price to pay, little humor and chance to work on the downclimbing skills. yelrotflmao.gif

Glad you're still with us. Heal fast and well.

A round for your health bigdrink.gif

was me. right hand in cast so typing is a struggle. rapped off end of rope. rope wasn't even. was real dumb and can't believe it happened as i am usually very deligent. all it takes is one time. keep on it 100 %.

got off lucky. broken right wrist, sore left hand, small crack in lower vertebrae, sore hip started today. lots of stiffness. hope to be mobile soon( when back stiffness lessens) and cast off in four weeks.

gene

I am glad you are ok. Sounds funny, but I was worrying about you Saturday night. I hope you heal quickly.

Gene -

Ben here. i was above you on Roger's corner when it happened. i grabbed the sling and biners from the station. got em and will get em back to you. glad you were ok. i had my partner lower me to the edge to check everything out, but there were plenty of folks already there. get well soon and pm me for the goods.

best,

ben

gene

small cracks in the vertebrae? How are the discs? hopefully they are ok and its just the bone...that will heal up as will the muscles attached to them...

I'm trying to picture how you must have landed and not gotten hurt worse...it sounds like a couple of months and you'll be doin' great!

Heal up quick...

Gene, I'm glad it wasn't worse. Thank goodness for your skull bucket.

Get well soon. In the meantime, you can still belay with that good hand, right? wink.gif

Cheers,

Rad

wave.gif

It's good to keep these things in perspective:

TAOISM ... Shit happens.

ZEN ... What is the sound of shit happening?

HINDUISM ... This shit happened before.

MORMON ... This shit is going to happen again.

PROTESTANISM ... Let the shit happen to someone else.

CATHOLICISM ... Shit happens because you are BAD.

JUDAISM ... Why does this shit always happen to us?

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE ... Shit is in your mind.

EXISTENTIALISM ... What is shit anyway?

RASTAFARIANISM ... Let's smoke this shit.

CC.COM ... Shit happens, and then you spray about it.

heal quickly & heal well, gene!

i was over there yesterday with WW, and the only incidents of gore involved a large number of roadkill on Hwy 2, I-5, and the carnage of hundreds on my windshield. oh, and the horse that was crossing on the westbound side of Hwy2 was very, very lucky!

jeez gene, i haven't heard from you in all this time and now i read this. i'm glad to hear you're okay, i hope those washington doctors are treating you well. sorry i wasn't around to help. i guess my airtime on the ringing flake doesn't seem so bad now--but it was the last time i was on the lower wall. get well soon and get yourself back to california, the sierras are missing you. cheers,

Jay

sorry to here that, hope you heal fast man, i was there on sunday and climbed on RC.

and i almost decked off the GNS myself, i was climbing the crack on the left, we had already done the one on the right, and just below the tree my lead hand poped and i did half a barn door but was able to recover it, i had no gear in to that point, and a fall would not have been good, i was thinking about other shit then the task at hand and it almost resulted in a acedent, was a good reninder that climbing is dangerous when your not on top of it, ie thinking about what your doing.

Edited by wirlwind