Mountaineers in Leavenworth - April 22 & 23

DirtyHarry

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of two accidents last weekend that involved non cc.com, non Mounties. Maybe it was just a bad weekend to be outside?

I stayed home last weekend to catch up on work.

The weird thing about the three cragging accidents this past weekend is all were a stone's throw from the road.

No one got hurt in the alpine (in the WA Cascades), where we think of things being much more dangerous. I think it's all just random luck, though my mom might say, "bad things happen in threes."

This is also the time of the year when hikers start venturing out again, and it was the first sunny weekend in weeks. But Monday morning rolled around and no news stories of hikers overdue or injured on Si, Pilchuk, etc.

I can think of two accidents last weekend that involved non cc.com, non Mounties. Maybe it was just a bad weekend to be outside?

I stayed home last weekend to catch up on work.

The weird thing about the three cragging accidents this past weekend is all were a stone's throw from the road.

No one got hurt in the alpine (in the WA Cascades), where we think of things being much more dangerous. I think it's all just random luck, though my mom might say, "bad things happen in threes."

This is also the time of the year when hikers start venturing out again, and it was the first sunny weekend in weeks. But Monday morning rolled around and no news stories of hikers overdue or injured on Si, Pilchuk, etc.

There was an avalanche and heli-evac in Garibaldi Park, but it wasn't cc.commers involved. rolleyes.gif Well, the CORE GROUP anyways.

Whether it’s a club or not is missing the point. The perception is people who are identified as posters cc.com have an inordinately high accident rate. Given the very small number of consistent cc.com posters the accident rate does seem very high to me. Compare the thousands of Mounties to the handfull of regular cc.com posters involved in accidents and come to your own conclusion about how the rates compare.

oh goody, it's another perception post. I knew you were a closet lefty pp. Cc.com has 10,000+ members. Perhaps you'd care to share your source for the statistics? Or why you chose to ignore the mountaineers climbing classes required to go on mounties classes? Or XYZ factors that change your data?

Check out the blue. rolleyes.gif

Check out the blue. rolleyes.gif

So you curve the data for "regular" (what makes someone regular is undefined) cc.com posters, but not for "regular" (highly active) mounties. whether those rates are higher or lower than "active" climbers overall is, of course, of no relevance.

as always, nicely biasing your stats PP. Don't quit your sprayjob!

Let me clarify. When I refer to cc.comer I mean the "core group." Those "avatars" that would be recognizable by people who only lurk occasionally on cc.com. [/color] For example, Peter Puget would be a cc.comer. 10_2_Epic would not.

G-spot: The answer is: it depends. It is not strictly a question of post count (sorry) In any event those who have made comments to me about the accident the on cc.com have a certain perception. Ultimately whether that perception is true or not (I think there is some truth to it) matters little. People have that perception.

I'm sorry, that isn't good enough Peter. I need to see the supporting data. One thing to consider is that because people post on here, you hear about the accidents. We may not hear about all the accidents had by people who don't post on here, because they don't post on here. So lets see your data, and I'll nitpick it till you lose interest in the discussion.

Anyway, I can't believe you guys are talking about this instead of posting pictures of Mounties. It is the gaiters without a patch of snow in sight, the pack with 110 essentials for going to the crag, the legendary Mountie style that I pine for. Are the good old days of cc.com behind us? I'm going to get a latte and hang in Cafe Sensitivisio. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

okay Peter or anyone else with time on your hands. Think back through and come up with all of the cc.com accidents in the last year. Since Peters definition of a core member is subjective you should just be able to think of the posters who have accidents in the last year. But do define what you cosider an accident, a sprained ankle? broken bone? a lost tooth? rescue called but not needed? serious rescue with liters, in field first aid etc..

this obviously is not very scientific but i am having a hard time believing there are sigifigantly more cc.com accidents than general climbing population. Because cc.com connects me with 10000 plus climbers whose accidents i hear about outside of cc.com i know about 30 climbers...

I find it pretty funny to see Dru and Harry trying to argue that there is no even vaguely identifiable regular or periodic user group on cc.com. They spend literally several hours a week on the site and they sure seem to notice when someone new posts to the board based on their frequent comments directed toward the "newbie." Both have also been known to make broad general comments about unspecific groups of people - newbies, snowshoers, peak-baggers, rednecks, whoever. Even mountaineers (were not some of the "mounty" pictures actually boealps or something?).