favorite obscure classical composer/music?

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, Apocalyptica. Cellos playing Metallica! Colin queued some up the other night. Cool stuff. I'm drifting from classical, but he also had a performer he described as "the Bob Marley from Pakistan" who was cool too.

Lately I've been listening to Piazzolla at home and Grieg at work.

Got a really cool CD of Vivaldi's Four Seasons interleaved with Piazzolla's Seasons.

sunra.gif

Does Arkestral music count?

wow! Once in Dayton I saw Sun Ra (actually I saw the Arkestra a number of times) and there weere only 3 of us in the audience. The band surrounded us at our table and Sun Ra looked in my eyes and said, "Give up your death to me." Freaky!

I recorded El is a Sound of Joy on my band's first CD.

point 1: whenever i've gone looking (which has been very rarely), classical music didn't seem to be very commonly available on sharing sites - maybe u can point out a site which is better in this respect?

Don, there's over 1400 classical download postings available here: http://www.torrentspy.com/directory/22/music/classical. Quality can be highly variable; however the price is right and leaves some money for purchasing new/shiny bits of climbing gear. Note that you'll need to obtain/install a bittorrent client such as BitComet obtained here: http://www.bitcomet.com/.

PM me is you have any trouble.

Cheers.

define obscure?
I think he meant what the general public probably hasn't heard of. It's hard to find composers that other musicians haven't at least heard their names.

Anyway, this thread has been popping up since last April and I haven't weighed in on it, which is disgraceful, considering my screen name and vocation, so here we go.

Vincent Persichetti (1915-1986) one of the few "symphonic" composers who has contributed significantly to the literature for concert band.

Carlisle Floyd (b. 1926) Maestro's teacher and a major player in American opera. His best-known work is Susannah (1955).

• 6 months later...

Lately I've really dug Alan Hovhaness.

Also been on a Scandanavianish theme... the standards are Grieg and Sibelius, but there's some other cool ones out there:

Eivind Grover

Carl Nielsen

Einojuhani Rautavaara

Harald Saeverud

Peteris Vasks

There's a really cool CD of Vivaldi's Four Seasons interleaved with the lesser known Piazzolla's Four Seasons. The dovetailing of the two together is brilliant.

I'm not smart enough to know any obscure classical music. I bet that's why I didn't get into Yale.

However, I do think that "Life is Shit" by the Dead Milkmen is especially poignant. Their bass player killed himself, so that makes them tragic, too.

daveblood02.jpg

RIP buddy! :brew:

Edited by robmcdan

Bartok "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste" is creepy and wonderful. The third movement with the viola and timpani theme is especially good.

George Crumb "Ancient Voices of Children" must be heard with headphones in a dark room.

I know it is old and not so obscure but "Dido's Lament" from Dido and Aneas by Henry Purcell is just...wow.

Piazolla is all great.

Nobody mentioned Elliot Carter string quartets. Those are really good, though probably the most fun if you are reading the score with the music.

Thanks for the neat ideas on this thread!

Are you playing it on an instrument, or a cd-player?

I'm a violin performance major (although I've been slacking recently because of climbing). I've been wanting to play this piece for years and now I've finally started it! What a project.

I'm a violin performance major (although I've been slacking recently because of climbing). I've been wanting to play this piece for years and now I've finally started it! What a project.

You are my new goddess! After 5 years scratching at this damn thing, I still wake up the dead when I "play" the violin. :rolleyes:

2006-04-05_0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...