favorite obscure classical composer/music?

Gary_Yngve

i dropped a few quid on:

Dvorak*Elgar by Casals

Bach Sonatas by Maisky

The Best Cello Album in the World...Ever! (cus i thought it was an easy sell & i liked the austin mini on front) blush.gif

India.Arie acoustic soul, and

Erykah Badu

tx lads. i think i picked up at least 2 culture points today bigdrink.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dropped a few quid on:

Dvorak*Elgar by Casals

Bach Sonatas by Maisky

The Best Cello Album in the World...Ever! (cus i thought it was an easy sell & i liked the austin mini on front) blush.gif

Right on. The Masiky CD sounds cool. Was he playing with his wife (Argerich)? Their recording of Franck is amazing.

Stay away from the Casals Bach Suites recording. Casals did the world a favor by breaking out of the mechanical Baroque style, but his recording, done when he was going senile, is subpar. My favorite Bach Suites recording is the older Yo-Yo Ma recording from the early '90s.

Best Cello Album. Ha! I wonder what's on it.

Saint-Saens's Le Cygne for sure.

Bruch's Kol Nidrei?

Faure's Requiem?

Probably not flashy enough.

Some transcribed showpieces (Flight of Bumblebee, Paganini shit, the overplayed Air on a G String)?

i dropped a few quid on:

Dvorak*Elgar by Casals

Bach Sonatas by Maisky

Right on. The Masiky CD sounds cool. Was he playing with his wife (Argerich)? Their recording of Franck is amazing.

Stay away from the Casals Bach Suites recording. Casals did the world a favor by breaking out of the mechanical Baroque style, but his recording, done when he was going senile, is subpar. My favorite Bach Suites recording is the older Yo-Yo Ma recording from the early '90s.

Bruch's Kol Nidrei?

Faure's Requiem?

Some transcribed showpieces (Flight of Bumblebee, Paganini shit, the overplayed Air on a G String)?

the elgar and dvorak concertos will be a much-played disk.

i agree on the ma version of the bachs - maybe the finest disk i own for evening/quiet/cerebral.

the "best of" disk actually had a decent compliation:

DISC 1

1. BACHARACH: South American Getaway The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

2. ELGAR: Cello concerto (1st movement - Adagio-moderato) London Symphony Orchestra / Jacqueline du Pré

3. FAURÉ: Sicilienne [Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

4. HAYDN: Cello concerto in C Academy of St Martin in the Fields / Mstislav Rostropovich

5. FALLA: Jota John Williams (Guitar) / Jacqueline du Pré

6. GERSHWIN: Prélude no 2 The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

7. TCHAIKOVSKY: Nocturne Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

8. DVORÁK: Silent Woods Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

9. Deep River The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

10. PIAZOLLA: Adiós Nonino 'The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

11. MILLER: Moonlight Serenade The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

DISC 2

1. RACHMANINOV: Vocalise 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

2. BACH: Unaccompanied Cello Suite no 1 'Ralph Kirshbaum]

3. SAINT-SAËNS: Cello concerto no 1 (3rd movement - Allegro non troppo) 'London Philharmonic Orchestra / Mstislav Rostropovich]

4. MONN: Cello concerto (3rd movement - Allegro non tanto) 'London Symphony Orchestra / Jacqueline du Pré]

5. DVORÁK: Cello concerto (1st movement - Allegro) 'London Philharmonic Orchestra / Mstislav Rostropovich]

6. BRUCH: Kol nidrei 'London Symphony Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

7. SAINT-SAËNS: Le Cygne (The Swan) from Carnaval des animaux 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

8. FAURê: Après un rève 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

9. BRAHMS: Lullaby (Berceuse) 'Truls Mørk]

a really good start...

cheers, don

Did u guys know that there is this neat thing called "file sharing" using which u can get music for free blush.gif

point 1: whenever i've gone looking (which has been very rarely), classical music didn't seem to be very commonly available on sharing sites - maybe u can point out a site which is better in this respect?

point 2: i don't mind paying for and getting high quality sound. i don't particularly enjoy listening to music thru the shitty speakers usually associated with a computer. OK, i could play mpegs thru my stereo, but they're still pretty 'compact' compared to CDs.

point 3: none of this was available when i was in my big collection-growth days, and with nearly a thousand classical albums on my shelves (about half on vinyl) i don't have cause to be in 'buying mode' very frequently.

point 4: mostly, to be honest, i let someone else 'channel surf' for me - namely, the people at CBC-FM and KING-FM. every now and then they play something that REALLY makes me sit up and take notice - then i might want to 'possess' it.

cheers, don

Don's spot on with his answers.

The other thing about classical is I can get really picky about orchestra/performers/conductor. (e.g. Rostropovich plays Britten, Karajan's recordings of the Mahlers, etc.)

And what if only 3 of 4 movements are available online? Or all four movements, but from different recordings? That's practically useless to me.

The other nice thing is that the Naxos recordings are generally good and at a budget price (they've gone up lately though, at least on Amazon -- I remember the days of $6 each).

www.classicfm.com is a great Internet classic radio station from the UK.

That cello CD is a darn good selection.

I shoud check out more of the stuff by the 12 cellists of the Bwelin Philharmonic. A friend of mine has a CD of them playing Beatles tunes. It's a cute curiosity, though each song has a 1-minute intro that isn't readily identifiable. And they ommitted the way cool la la la la-da-ti-da from the end of Hey Jude.

i dropped a few quid on:

Dvorak*Elgar by Casals

Bach Sonatas by Maisky

i think so. piano, right? i didn't want to impose it on eric yesterday, but i enjoyed it tremendously, in my 30 min. s/b lane at the border.

Bruch's Kol Nidrei?

Faure's Requiem?

the elgar and dvorak concertos will be a much-played disk.

i was getting into it, but the CD's quality stinks! it's got to go back.

i agree on the ma version of the bachs - maybe the finest disk i own for evening/quiet/cerebral.

the "best of" disk actually had a decent compliation:

DISC 1

1. BACHARACH: South American Getaway The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

2. ELGAR: Cello concerto (1st movement - Adagio-moderato) London Symphony Orchestra / Jacqueline du Pré

3. FAURÉ: Sicilienne [Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

4. HAYDN: Cello concerto in C Academy of St Martin in the Fields / Mstislav Rostropovich

5. FALLA: Jota John Williams (Guitar) / Jacqueline du Pré

6. GERSHWIN: Prélude no 2 The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

7. TCHAIKOVSKY: Nocturne Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

8. DVORÁK: Silent Woods Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang

9. Deep River The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

10. PIAZOLLA: Adiós Nonino 'The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

11. MILLER: Moonlight Serenade The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic

DISC 2

1. RACHMANINOV: Vocalise 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

2. BACH: Unaccompanied Cello Suite no 1 'Ralph Kirshbaum]

3. SAINT-SAËNS: Cello concerto no 1 (3rd movement - Allegro non troppo) 'London Philharmonic Orchestra / Mstislav Rostropovich]

4. MONN: Cello concerto (3rd movement - Allegro non tanto) 'London Symphony Orchestra / Jacqueline du Pré]

5. DVORÁK: Cello concerto (1st movement - Allegro) 'London Philharmonic Orchestra / Mstislav Rostropovich]

6. BRUCH: Kol nidrei 'London Symphony Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

7. SAINT-SAËNS: Le Cygne (The Swan) from Carnaval des animaux 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

8. FAURê: Après un rève 'Philharmonia Orchestra / Han-Na Chang]

9. BRAHMS: Lullaby (Berceuse) 'Truls Mørk]

a really good start...

cheers, don

• 4 months later...

Well my favorite modern day composer has to be Micheal Nyman, maybe it is because when I hear the music it reminds me of some of my favorite films by Peter Grenaway. I will have to check out some of the list that Will had put up. I had the same reaction as Don when I saw it.

Edvard Grieg: 2nd movement from Peer Gynt, Suite #1, op. 46, absolutely haunting

Tomaso Albinoni: Adagio in G minor for strings & organ, quietly spiritual

(in case you hadn't noticed, I like my classical in minor keys)

Joaquin Rodrigo: anything he wrote that's played by John Williams (it's Spanish Guitar music, if you're not familiar with him)

• 2 months later...