climber numbers falling-big time?

Jens

I know there was a thread showing declining numbers of climbers in the national parks but it seems like it is happening just about everywhere around here also. I'd be curious to see some numbers. I'm seeing fewer cars at almost every area I go to in the last year, that includes sport, trad, ice, and mountain areas. Many of my older weekend warrior buddies seem to get out only quarterly these days- and that trend seems universal? I'd guess climbing around here peaked in around 2002? The X gamers from the late 90's aren't getting out much? And the latest teenagers are content to chill with their I-pods.

__

And I'll bet anyone a beer that the cliff that sees the most climber visits in a calendar year is the practice cliff above the trestle at 38.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you are right.

But there is a tendency in humans to "see" trends when the concept is imprinted on the brain, as in this case the post about declining population of climbers. Then while you are thinking about it, you notice all the evidence to support the claim while ignoring the contradictory evidence. All unconscious and this tendency is brought up in court cases when dealing with eye witnesses. If I said the crags were all crowded (and I was a reliable source) then I could bend the common perception such.

Only quatifiable things can be used to support a rising or declining population. (such as permits, maybe gear sales, mag subscriptions, ect)

With all that though, I would agree with you in that it doesn't seem so crowded anymore. But then maybe it is because I steer clear of smith, hood, DC cleaver, and Baker on the weekends. Also, the guiding industry localy has slowed down a bit (maybe 20%?) after the heyday of the late 90's.

whatever the reason, I like it. I hope the rock routes stay clean though.

there seems to be a lot of interest in the "young" crew surrendering this thing they call bouldering. And most of them get out about bimonthly...aside from climbing in the gym 3-4 nights a week maybe more.

there also seems to be a resoanable number of people out climbing with there sigficant other. Which generally conists of doing laps on ingalls, the tooth, and castle rock. So Jens while you are getting up early for your car to car ascent of the girth pillar they are still sleeping. And then when you are hiking out they are drinking beers. Boulders seem to operate under similar hours.