The Ancient Ones

stillcrankin

These are some pictures of a line of mashies with an ancient bolt at the top that a group of us spotted on the underside of the 15th street Ravenna Park bridge in 1971 or so. We used to cut high school (Roosevelt) to go to the park and smoke illegal substances.

We never could figure out who would have put up such an incredible line. There weren't that many people capable of doing something like this at that time. They looked ancient even in 1971. They're still there, slings gently swaying in mute testimony, as a reminder that there were climbers here before us.

5157P4010013.JPG

5157P4010011.JPG

5157P4010010.JPG

Edited by stillcrankin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where this was Bill. No one ever answered my question about Roosevelt High in P-Town or not. There is a bridge that sort of looks like that in N. Portland (where Roosevelt is located.) This is Bridge town is it not? How many bridges have an old tatty line of crusted out mashies? Sounds like a fun way to spend a rainy Sunday Portland morning. I am not familiar with the park (Ravenna), it sounds like it's in Seattle. A bit of a drive for that kind of fun.

Yeah, I had never heard of anyone putting this up in Portland, and you'd think that there would be this incredably irresistable urge to spray about it.......... grin.gif

The only bridge I've ever done (twice-long time ago), I can't remember where it was and can't find it again. confused.gif

Maybe I put it out of my mind when I heard Wiss zippered it and landed in the river. Think of piton hammer, iron, biners, weight pulling you down into the water, trying to float, trying to live....not a good mix.

• 2 weeks later...