IdaTARDS....Sound off!

drater

Where you from, or where are you now?

Personally, I'm from Eastern Wash but living in the Inland Rain Forest of North Idaho (more rain annually than Seattle, why don't they advertise that fact to all the Californicators overrunning this place), Sandpoint specifically.

Most of my rock gripping time is spent finding and developing new boldering areas (i.e., I KILL MOSS!!!)but lately growing webbed feet and gills seems more important...

So where are the other I Da Ho's on this board lurking from?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An Idaho forum. neato.

I split my time between Cd'A and Moscow. Generally go somewhere else to climb, though. Post Falls is great, but rock climbing is pretty limited otherwise unless you're into to alpine stuff on the Selkirk Crest. Perhaps once there is a critical mass of climbers we can stay ahead of the moss around sandpoint. Are schweitzer crags still covered in the crap? I climbed at LaClede years ago and had a terrible experience... maybe I should go back and give it another try?

Don't tell anyone about all the great skiing! There might not be enough to go around....

Sandpoint gets more annual precip than Seattle. We got moss. Acess to the established chuffery (roped climbing) at the Schweitzer Rocks is supposedly still good but I don't know for how long, there are houses being built on all four sides of it, can't imagine it'll continue to be a good access scenario.

Laclede has got some decent sport rigs up to 5.13 and some well neglected cracks of intermediate difficulty, well worth the trip if that's your cup of tea.

Oh yea, the skiing here sucks too.

Go out there kiting sometimes, the water on the main part of the lake can get pretty rough, you want a boat with some volume to it to be hanging out in that neighborhood.

The rock looks awesome however, and there is a lot more really good (i.e., steep and juggy)looking stuff around the corner at the base of the Green Monarchs. Gneiss, or possibly quartzite. No established routes were visible from the water, although that doesn't mean anything.

anyone been out to Granite Point on Pend Orielle? that looks like a fun day trip...

I haven't been there, but there are a few routes in Green's old Idaho Rock guide, including the cover photo. I think the guide is long out of print, but I could scan the pages if you want - I doubt he's worried about copyright at this point in time.

Two hours and fifteen minutes to Peck Gulch from Sandpoint. Peck Gulch is a campground on Koocanusa that has amazing kiteboarding, super windy there often.

Stone Hill, the main area, is another five minutes past Peck Gulch. The quartzite of the Koocanusa area is of highest quality and plentiful.

Mccall does have great rock. I'm lucky enough to live here. Perfect weather too if you like 4 seasons. Still 2 feet of snow in the yard, but it's going fast. Not much ice though, surprisingly. Slick Rock is more like 70 degrees. Lots of fun. The North Beach crags are totally undeveloped. Gold Fork has lots of lines, guarded jealously by the few who put them all up years ago. Let's see, what else? Nice long IV class and low Vth class ridge routes past Lick Creek summit. Plus steep limestone and more granite not too far downhill from here in Riggins and over in Hells Canyon. Hardly ever see climbers in McCall though.

566398-NBeachcliff.JPG.aa9fde097b63caca14d054dc544fc129.JPG

• 1 month later...

Man you guys are talking crazy man. You know where Foriegn Engines is on NOrthwest blvd. I used to tow alot of cars out their for eddy heath, that guy was crazy. I swear to god there are some cool looking rocks you can see from the freeway, on the other side of the spokan river, you guys ever climbed there.

I think Idaho's gay anyway