LIBERTY RIDGE

savaiusini

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One easy way to avoid the crowds, go late season. I did this in 97', sure we almost got killed, but there was only one other team on the route! It's a blast trying to get on the ridge in late August, and watching rocks fly by you as you ascend to Thumb Rock, and don't forget that surprise storm that pins you at 13,000' for the night! I LOVE CLIMBING!!!!!

Hey! Is anyone going to be climbing Classic Crack in the next couple of weeks? I'd like to try to do get up it when no ones staring at my...technique.....

DL...U weren't laughing so hard when I provided in depth beta on climbing the Emmons.

Dude, you answered your own simple question, I was just pointing it out. Obviously you already know that the route is crowded. It's in 50 classic climbs, it's in Nelson's book, it's one of the most aesthetic and desirable routes of its kind in the country... so duh, any weekend that conditions are good, it's going to be a goat rodeo with all the delays and human-induced rockfall that implies.

For your easily-offended-information, I was serious, go midweek, work a weekend, take some vacation days, whatever it takes. It you want solitude and good conditions both, that's the only solution.

What kind of hand-holding answer were you expecting? "I have secret information that June 9 and 10 there will be no other parties on the route?"

He (?) wanted to know about the secret button that you can press that sets off a fake eruption and scares away all the other parties.

But if we told him about that it wouldn't be a secret anymore... oops!

Send me $500 in used bills for the location of the secret eruption faker button. For $25 more I will throw in the location of the button for the 'ejector ledge' on outer space that catapults slow parties ahead of you off the route.

savaiusini

You might want to try not using all caps in a post. Automatically puts people on guard since this is usually interpreted as anger, cockiness or naivete all of which can be like blood in the water in this sharkpit...lol. Good luck on the climb if you go. I hear the conditions on the Carbon are not good so be careful.

Here is how to avoid the masses but take advantage of platforms at the half way point.

Go ONE DAY after the masses. Instead of doing Liberty Ridge on Sat/Sun/Mon do it on Sun/Mon/Tue

We did this one year where July 4th landed on a Monday. There was absolutely noone on the route--they were all one day ahead of us.

Yes everyone, I am well aware of the masses on the weekends and how to avoid them since it is hard for some of us 9-5ers to get weekdays off. I was merely trying to quantify it. I was not looking for the barrage that followed. Although it ended-up pretty funny, I think.

Napalm

Even mid-week this is going to be pretty busy. I was leaving the park on Tuesday afternoon and there were three parties setting off to do the Liberty.

I would also avoid the flamethrower. Everything below 11,000' was mush yesterday and probably getting worse if the hot weather continues.

Hmm.... we did it last year on a semi-weekday schedule. Thursday-Friday-Saturday. It was crowded - 14 other people (in 6 parties) on route (8 of us converged at the crux of the route, just below Liberty Cap - much pelting of ice ensued).

We got the last available "reservations" for Thumb Rock when we arrived at White River Thursday morning.

So going mid-week may not be a guarantee of uncrowdedness. Most people seemed to be from out-of-state anyway, on extended vacations.

quote:

Originally posted by savaiusini:

I JUST WANTED TO PUT SOME FEELERS OUT THERE FOR GETTING AN IDEA OF HOW MANY FOLKS ARE GONNA BE TRYING LIB. RIDGE IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS. I AM HOPING TO AVOID THE WEEKEND MASSES...IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE. ANY THOUGHTS?

Do you by chance know/related to Kirk Avaiusini?

quote:

Originally posted by littlebunnyfoofoo:

Hey! Is anyone going to be climbing Classic Crack in the next couple of weeks? I'd like to try to do get up it when no ones staring at my...technique.....

DL...U weren't laughing so hard when I provided in depth beta on climbing the Emmons.

quote:

Originally posted by littlebunnyfoofoo: