Feathered Friends Helios

FatTexan

I am pondering the purchase of the Volant, Helios, or Hyperion. I need on jacket that can be part of my summer sleep system (light bag with jacket) and my Winter climbing jacket. The Winter temps should be no more than 10 to -10. I am sure the Volant will be OK at those temps but how about the Helios or Hyperion. This would be part of a layering system, thermals, windshells, fleece, and then the FF Jacket.

Also I need advice on the fit. A Patagonia size L R2 fleece fits me perfectly.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Texan,

I have the helios and love it. I have used it as a belay jacket /summit jacket and I plan on using it in a light weight sleeping sytem this season. I felt that since I always carry it in my pack anyway, that I might as well lighten my sleeping bag up and use the jacket to sleep in also. The loft is very nice and warm. I hang it up after each use and it continues to be like new. It has been going in my pack weekly in a stuff sack for the last 2 years and I wear it occasionally but not always because it is very warm. Even in the winter, it would have to be very cold to actually climb in it. I am 6'2" 195 and use size xl and it fits perfect. hope that helps

The Volant is sized to fit over layers, so there will be more room in it at any given size when compared to the Helios. A large should fit you just fine in the Volant, but think of sizing up for the Helios. If you're going to be using it as part of a sleep system and used in the winter I might recommend the Volant over the Helios.

- Eddie