Can you say......

ken4ord

I know people in Eastern Europe who made their own gear out of scrap metal. I have made stoppers out of scrap metal. I made home made pitons in the early 70s.Several friends have. In the early 80s I bought a bunch of home made cams. I wonder why this pattern isn't followed.

Do you use the gear that you made as your everyday gear? I personally do not use my homemade gear as my everyday stuff.

My slovene, czech, polish and east german friends who made their own gear to climb trad routes also bolted sport routes. And they replaced their homemade gear with store bought stuff as soon as they could. People generally prefer store bought gear, and honestly that doesn't surprise me.

I don't think that I argued that "the cost of pro determines ethics". I thought that saying the bolts belong in "rock gardens only" was clear enough.

However, Yes, I do believe and did argue that cost is a much more of a factor in climbing ethics than you might want to believe.

Did you read the article? I think they mentioned loose rock, teetering pillars and death blocks pretty clearly. I'm not going to second guess the ethics of somebody I've never met, especially in a developing country.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackers

I'd be curious to hear more about Turkey, I have some good friends who go over there frequently. Maybe some pics and a TR over in the new International forum? I've found the reports from Africa pretty fascinating, and I'd like to hear more from areas one doesn't think of as having climbers.

Ever think about some way to get used gear from this land of plenty over to folks who need it there? I think there are plenty of folks with some nuts or old cams they'd be glad to donate if there was some way to know that it would really make its way into the hands of needy climbers over there.