keep illegals legal?? WTF?

underworld

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like millitant milquetoast white folks beating their PC drum while restating conventional wisdom as though it's some kind of bold contravention of the status quo.

"Racism is REAL!!!!!!!!!That's right - I said it....REAL"

"Black people didn't immigrate here - they were brought here as SLAVES!!!!!!!!"

Awesome. Treat us to some more of these keen moral and or historical insights.

"Abusing children is WRONG!!!!!!!"

"Lighting old people on fire is NOT OKAY!!!"

"I am AGAINST stomping kittens and puppies to death. Yeah, you heard me!!!"

FIGHT THE POWER!!! thumbs_up.gif

This county was founded on imigrants, lets not forget that.

Although your statement is well intentioned (I believe), it is not true. Africans did not immigrate here; they were brought against their will and forced into slavery. In the process of coming through the "Middle Passage" MILLIONS died of disease, dysentery, starvation, or were simply thrown off the ship into the Atlantic. I would hardly call this immigration; sounds more like genocide to me.

But that's "water under the bridge," right? rolleyes.gif

life sucked for them, granted.... and sure they didn't chose that path - but their grandkids have a better life because of it.

Nothing like millitant milquetoast white folks beating their PC drum while restating conventional wisdom as though it's some kind of bold contravention of the status quo.

"Racism is REAL!!!!!!!!!That's right - I said it....REAL"

"Black people didn't immigrate here - they were brought here as SLAVES!!!!!!!!"

Awesome. Treat us to some more of these keen moral and or historical insights.

"Abusing children is WRONG!!!!!!!"

"Lighting old people on fire is NOT OKAY!!!"

"I am AGAINST stomping kittens and puppies to death. Yeah, you heard me!!!"

Great contribution, JayB. This is pretty much on par for you: an emotional response, essentializing rhetoric, with some reductivism thrown in for good measure. Us militants here on the PC base have really gained a lot from your constant wisdom.

Your post gets four wisdom Yoda's (out of a possible four, so that's good work): yoda.gifyoda.gifyoda.gifyoda.gif

"Essentializing." Now we're talking. I think you need to whip out some more of the undergrad pomo-speak "Decontextualizing the humanity of the other in a counterhegemenonic metanarrative..." to jazz up the unsolicited third grade history lesson.

Maybe you can work it into a lecture where you astonish us with the news that white settlers displaced Indians, and go one step further and rivet us with the disclosure that this process was actually neither welcomed by the Indians nor advantageous for them.

"Essentializing." Now we're talking. I think you need to whip out some more of the undergrad pomo-speak "Decontextualizing the humanity of the other in a counterhegemenonic metanarrative..." to jazz up the unsolicited third grade history lesson.

Maybe you can work it into a lecture where you astonish us with the news that white settlers displaced Indians, and go one step further and rivet us with the disclosure that this process was actually neither welcomed by the Indians nor advantageous for them.

you're slipping: yoda.gifyoda.gifyoda.gif

Us here at the PC base couldn't figure out what "hegemenonic" was, otherwise you would have gotten the fourth wisdom yoda.

life sucked for them, granted.... and sure they didn't chose that path - but their grandkids have a better life because of it.

OK, UW, that's fucking nuts. I can hear the conversation right now...

In the Year of Our Lord 1700,

Slaver: Look, I'm going to put this collar around your neck, put you on a boat where 10-30% of you are going to die, and send you to the United States. You and your descendents will spend the next 170 years treated as property, expected to work until you die for no benefits. Then they'll be expected to work another 100 years for minimal benefits and constant segregation from the priveleges that other people have. Finally some laws will get passed prohibiting that, but you'll spend at least 50 years fighting to get them enforced.

Slave: Well, at least I won't be in Africa!

Why couldn't we all be so...lucky?

Many Africans enslaved and sold other Africans. The Europeans didn't invent or import the practice to Africa, and it's an oversimplification to assume that life would have been a paradise in Africa w/o the Europeans' involvement.

BTW, American Indians had slaves too.

Things are a little more complicated than we are presented with by the one-sided historians (with an agenda).

it's an oversimplification to assume that life would have been a paradise in Africa w/o the Europeans' involvement.

There you go with your rightwing hyperbole again KK. Life would have been just fine for the Africans coming from the congo region, er, at least until King Leopold came along....

How the fuck do you know that they're illegal??!! Because their skin is brown??!! If that's your logic, you're a fucking racist, and you should make sure not to introduce yourself to me if we ever meet in the world.

I’d venture to guess that probably a majority of the people protesting were illegals and that has nothing to do with skin color (and I have no idea why race was even brought up). Do you think this is a stretch? Most people who protest against Bush are liberals right? Same reasoning. If you are protesting something its because you support the cause of the protest right? Why would someone protest against this law? Hmmmm, maybe because they themselves are illegals or their friends and families are. I see what underworld is saying and it does seem ironic to me.

And I don’t buy this argument that our society would crumble without them. We have plenty of legitimate aliens to do those jobs.

it's an oversimplification to assume that life would have been a paradise in Africa w/o the Europeans' involvement.

There you go with your rightwing hyperbole again KK. Life would have been just fine for the Africans coming from the congo region, er, at least until King Leopold came along....

hyperbole? look in the mirror.

fact is people have been enslaving, subjugating and murdering eachother for centuries. not just whites against blacks in one short span of history.

sorry for bringing up facts that disturb your myopic world-view

wave.gif

fact is people have been enslaving, subjugating and murdering eachother for centuries. not just whites against blacks in one short span of history.

Oh, well, then we should certainly ignore the possibility that this despicable practice may have had any negative impact on social conditions in our country.

I heard a saying once that the US and Europe could never see eye to eye because Americans think 100 years is a long time, and Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance.

hyperbole? look in the mirror.

sorry for bringing up facts that disturb your myopic world-view

wave.gif

KK - you've got your knee jerk reaction jacket on again. I was agreeing with you. wave.gifbigdrink.gif