*%!!??*%'ing outdoor apparel retailers

dbconlin

I just want to rant about those darn retailers, that seem to not carry any "winter" apparel in the springtime. Patagonia doesn't list the DAS parka on their website right now, and I've run into many other companies doing similar things. Don't they know June is like the best time to do Everest? the northern summer is the standard time for major mountains in the himalaya, alaska, washington, peruvian and bolivian andes, etc, etc. What the *&^%@!? Why can't I buy a belay parka now and have access to the widest selection?

Just rantin'

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patagonia - and a lot of small manufacturers - can't afford to warehouse a lot of product. Patagucci and Cloudveil in particular state very publicly that they would rather have a shortage of product than a surplus, claiming that their economic loss of sales is less than the economic cost of excess.

All three styles of womens shell pants come in size xs according to the Patagonia website.

Ah shit, there goes someone bringing reality to a web forum.

Huh? Back up a second. What is the reality?

What percent of Patagonia's production is XS out of each of those products? I'm willing to bet that it's less than 5%--the US apparel industry standard is about 3% for women's XS. IMHO, if a product is not available easily its just about the same as not being made.

What the OP was complaining about was that the product season's do not mirror the activist season, and the OP is absolutely right about that. In August, summer OR will be all about selling next summer's clothing, for delivery in March-June of 2007. The OP is absolutely right that the availability of technical garments suitable for the upcoming mountain season is 0 from the manufacturers right now.

sorry about the ranting tone, it's the rest of my day infecting my online personality today...i'd better go bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif and relax a bit.

IMHO, if a product is not available easily its just about the same as not being made.

check any online closeout store, or store bargain rack. Womens XS are usually overflowing. Look at todays steepandcheap.com - Womens XS is the most available for any color.

Isn't much different than finding technical gear in the month of March. There's usually oodles of it everywhere, on sale. Nobody spends much time stocking either because it doesn't sell.

check any online closeout store, or store bargain rack. Womens XS are usually overflowing. Look at todays steepandcheap.com - Womens XS is the most available for any color.

oh lover of the paris, my apologies. I have never looked for women's XS stuff, and apologize for not looking before peeping.

About the stocking / selling thing, i've spoken with more than one buyer at speciality stores who believes they could move the product if it was available...

Patagonia doesn't list the DAS parka on their website right now, and I've run into many other companies doing similar things. Don't they know June is like the best time to do Everest? the northern summer is the standard time for major mountains in the himalaya, alaska, washington, peruvian and bolivian andes, etc, etc. What the *&^%@!? Why can't I buy a belay parka now and have access to the widest selection?

Are you suggesting that a DAS Parka is appropriate for Everest and other Himalayan peaks? Have fun shivering up there. pitty.gif

If you want a belay parka you should consider a lighter and more durable one like FF Volant or Frontpoint. My Volant works great as a jacket in the Cascades from summer bivies in Boston Basin to winter climbs on Rainier.

About the stocking / selling thing, i've spoken with more than one buyer at speciality stores who believes they could move the product if it was available...

I'm sure some could. I know of at least one specialty store that doesn't mark down those types of merchandise, or only discounts slightly at the end of season, and it sits, and sits, and sits.

If you want small clothing check out MontBell they outfit tiny.

Patagonia doesn't list the DAS parka on their website right now, and I've run into many other companies doing similar things. Don't they know June is like the best time to do Everest? the northern summer is the standard time for major mountains in the himalaya, alaska, washington, peruvian and bolivian andes, etc, etc. What the *&^%@!? Why can't I buy a belay parka now and have access to the widest selection?

Are you suggesting that a DAS Parka is appropriate for Everest and other Himalayan peaks? Have fun shivering up there. pitty.gif

If you want a belay parka you should consider a lighter and more durable one like FF Volant or Frontpoint. My Volant works great as a jacket in the Cascades from summer bivies in Boston Basin to winter climbs on Rainier.

To answer your question, no, and I don't plan on going anywhere near Everest...ever.

But, I was originally set on buying the Volant, when I lived in Colorado, where it is relatively dry. Since moving to Washington, the last several climbs I have been on have been characterized by wet snow falling the better part of the day. I had a synthetic belay jacket with me, which ended up pretty wet, but hey no problem it was synthetic. That made me want to reconsider my next purchase of a down belay jacket, and maybe synthetic would be better. So, what kind of shell fabric is your Volant made with? Does it keep the down dry even when worn for extended periods when it is snowing? Thanks for any insight you may add.

i was at the patagonia outlet today and the xs womans stuff could fill a warehouse.

Where is the Patagonia outlet?

drC

There's this drive-in in the desert. You go in and pour yourself a pepsi and this elevator rockets you 25 storeys underground to a secret NORAD command centre. Oh wait, that was a movie with Chevy Chase and Dan Ackroyd.

o, what kind of shell fabric is your Volant made with? Does it keep the down dry even when worn for extended periods when it is snowing? Thanks for any insight you may add.

It's available in two different fabrics: Epic and Event. Epic is the same stuff that BD uses for their lightweight tents. It's pretty water resistant and very breathable. Event is waterproof as a fabric, more breathable than G-Tex and is more durable than the Epic. If you're looking for a weatherproof down jacket, this is about as good as it gets.

- Eddie