Central Park- NYC

Business took me to NYC this week, a day off found me in central park. I wandered around spotting short contrived traverses and straight ups. Finally settling on a line I thought would go in dress shoes, I began a slippery ascent of what I would later find out was cat rock.

Several false starts and ungraceful slips finally allowed me to get off the ground long enough to climb a 5 move problem. The rock was good,but very short.

My efforts were rewarded by a brief but very intense snow storm. The flakes were freakin' huge, causing a minor panic, as street vendors and unprepared pedistrians scrambled for cover from the snow.

Happy, I strolled down 5th avenue, bought lunch at a busy deli and even smoked half a joint walking down a now semi-desterted street.

New York is amazing, and well worth the trip.

562315-snow.jpg

562315-snow.jpg.86daa84132afc9bdc38c45cb2be693a7.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool "TR", brought me back. Like you say that is nice rock, though real short, a little jewel in the huge city. I spied rock and chalk a couple of years ago there, and then last year there for a wedding I brought shoes and an ipod and "the trinity (lighter, .., ..)" and while my wife hit the major stores I had some fun, then slipped back into the action with a smile. What a city, amazing.

It was a weird bit of weather. Currently, it's sunny and 62 degrees...

The best bouldering in the southern end of the park is at Rat Rock which is currently closed for reconstruction of the area. Cat rock has some interesting eliminate problems, and a nice arete.

But that is the VERY first time I've ever heard the rock called "good"...must have been exquisite stuff prior to your climbing!